Bad gas? Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
I kegged 5 gallons of IPA on June 27. Took 3 growlers to party on the 4th. It was excellent. Probably my best effort to date.

This afternoon I pulled a pint and it has some serious twang. As usual, I dumped the first pint after letting it sit for a over a week.

I'm guessing that I have an infection? I like to think my cleaning and sanitation are effective, but maybe not. I refilled my CO2 tank at an industrial gas shop the before I kegged the IPA. Is there any chance that there is a problem with the gas?

Did you clean your taps before you let it sit a week?

When was the last time you cleaned your lines?

The lines were cleaned about one month ago. If it were a problem with the taps or lines I believe it would pretty much disappear after dumping the first pint. Also, if this was problem, it would have been evident on July 4.

(but thanks for the suggestions)

gas ain't the problem. it kills nasties. maybe it was the glass had something in it, like dried detergent. it's hard to figure out how a keg could get nastied from great in a week, with the usual care we take of them

I think he was referring to CO2. Funny thing, I just posted something very similar here. Moon phase maybe?

yep, i think he was too, but don't most yeasties live in o2? i don't think they live too well in co2, but then, i'm not a biologist :confused:

I'm sorry, in my semi-drunken stupor I thought I read something about how hot gas burned, and I assumed you meant the flammable kind. And yes, most bad things need O2, but not all.

OK, if we rule out the CO2 as the cause the question is: whence the infection?

I have not had one prior but I understand that infections start small then get nasty as time goes on. The beer was in the primary for 34 days, dry hopped at 26 days. After one week in the keg the beer tasted fine, but 10 days later is was shvt.

Can I assume the infection came at the time of kegging or was the beer already infected at this point?

EDIT: Another thing I just recalled, when I tapped the keg after a week, I changed the beer out fitting.

Did you ever resolve this? I just tasted an IPA I brewed that I put on the same CO2 as the previous problem I posted about. It's not good. The first one was great until about 1 gallon was left, then turned to ****. This one has the same bad flavor from the beginning....I'm thinking it's oxidation. I'm trying to narrow it down. Dry-hopping or gas......I'm confused.

Back