Blow-Off Hose question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First time post here! Still very much a beginner in the home brew field...

I currently have a Wild Flower Wheat in my primary fermenter with a blow-off hose attached to the top of the carboy. I have been reading on a bunch of posts that once the primary fermentation slows down, most will replace the blow-off hose with a 3-piece airlock. I was debating on doing that tonight since most of the foam has blown out of the carboy (about 4 days fermenting).

My question... are there any issues with just leaving the blow-off hose on for the entire fermentation (im going to let it sit a total of 2 weeks)? Or should I replace the tube with the airlock?

Thank you!

I personally don't see a problem, I have a hefe fermenting currently with a blow-off and I fully intend to leave the blow-off in place until I bottle next week. The less I fiddle around with my fermentations, the more at peace my mind is. So, if it needs a blow-off, the blow-off stays until transfer/bottling.

My understanding is that you can just keep the blow off tube in place if you want. Sometimes it's easier to replace with an airlock for space saving reasons though... I've heard of people doing it both ways.

Yup- it is still a 'venting' / 'closed' environment to let the gases out as long as your tube free end is submerged in liquid. I remove mine when the bigger kreusen activity/foaming has subsided, and then soak the tube for cleaning, so it doesn't "sit all gunked up" for longer than it needs to.

The only reason I remove my blow-off tube is because it needs to be washed and sanitized for the next batch I am brewing! I usually let my beer sit for 3 weeks and I usually brew a new batch every 4 - 7 days. (I brew a lot because I have some time while I am looking for a new job.)

It does no harm to keep it on for the full time that your brew is in the bucket or carboy.

The only downside to using blowoff tubes instead of airlocks is the extra hassle and space the water bowl takes up. I'm starting to move to using only blowoff tubes, because I have my fermenters sitting in huge tubs of water for temperature control. I just run the blowoff into the tub, so I don't even need a separate container to submerge the tube in.

Back