I've Created a Monster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingwmelon

Reaction score
Last fall I brewed the AHS Cannonball stout PM version. Primaried for about a month then racked to secondary to bulk age with a cup of Woodford Reserve for what I thought was going to be about another month but I forgot about it until getting things ready to start brewing again this spring when I went to move my carboy and found it full of this inky darkness. My first thought was to dump it then I figured what the heck I'll bottle it up and try it if it isn't any good after conditioning I'm out a couple hours of time and a little priming sugar. I swirled the carboy to get some yeast back into suspension and added to the priming sugar in the bottle bucket like always except it didn't mix like normal it looked like ink trying to mix with water in there. Tasted a sample and thought it was not too bad but carbing up would help it a whole lot. That was three weeks ago. I opened one last night and WOW no hint at all of hops just effervescent malty spicy ( pepper and Carmel) goodness coming through. Not a whole lot of head or carbonation yet but the start is there. Can't find my brew notes about it bit I do remember that I hit the numbers the AHS posts in the recipe almost exactly. not really a summer drink but by next fall this should be about right to serve at cellar temp and enjoy watching it snow. Just wanted to let you all know that sometimes letting it sit around is not a bad thing. Also now I have a better bottle cleaned out and I am thinking that a batch of apfelwine started now will be ready by winter as well.

Good tip! I'm planning on brewing a big dark beer soon and bulk aging it until mid fall. It's only May 1, but I've been thinking about what I want to be drinking while watching football. Cheers!

That sounds delicious, I'd do it with that ipa I left sitting around except it kinda needs those hops hah.

Back