quick stupid keg Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Ok guys I went right to kegging from the get go in my home brewing career. Now I don't yet have the refrigeration or taps set up to carbonate or serve, but I do have the co2 tanks and kegs. I racked two beers into kegs and just left them. One of them I tried to peek into today and I realized that it had pressurized itself. I wasn't sure if these would go bad so one of them I connected to my gas and at about 15lbs, opened to nozzle into the keg. I then shut the nozzle and threw the one keg into a mini fridge in the basement (turning it into a kegerator turned out to be a no go or at least more trouble that worth right now). The other I did not pressurize and is sitting in the basement. Will they be fine just sitting around? One of them has to make it to be served on the 18th and I am concerned about it not staying good because people know I am bringing it and I don't want to look like a dumb butt. Boy did I set myself up for this one. :(

The one that is just sitting, you should purge with co2 (turn gas on at about 2 psi and hold the pressure relief valve for about 5-10 sec.) other than that, sounds like you are doing fine. The one that you put the gas on, you should re hook it up every few hours if you want it to carb. room temp + 15 psi = no carb.

Yeah thanks guys for the quick replies. I was not so much looking to carbonating as I was to just keep them stable. I need to get my fridge/taps worked out quick because I started brewing more than a month ago but I have yet to get any product that I can calm myself down with!

If your beer is only a month old it should be fine storing it at room temp
until the 18th. Most ales need at least 2 weeks in the fermenters and a month of conditioning at fermantation temp. the be the best they can be.

Oh and don't worry about the keg pressurizing. It's a good sign that the keg holds pressure. It also shows that the yeast is still doing it's thing which is also a good thing.

:mug:

Good God Man!!!!! Run, do not walk, to your LHBS and get 5' of liquid line and a picnic tap!!!!! Drink that beer!!! You do not need a full blown kegerator set up in order to drink kegged beer. All I have is a picnic tap, a 20# CO2 tank and a fridge. I have to open the fridge to get a beer, but it's a hell of alot better than bottling, IMO.

You should be able to get what you need to be drinking for less than $15.

The Mid west video says to use 30PSI for 2 days at room temp to carb. I did that on my last batch and it worked no problem. Though it is easier and faster at serving temp.

Does carbing with sugar make the beer taste different than not using sugar?

carbing with sugar only creates like .1% more alcohol, and doesn't change the flavor at all.
It DOES leave sediment in your keg that you need to draw off in the first glass or two before drinking...beyond that, nothing major.

you can force carb in a multitude of ways...slowly is usualy considered better for the beer, but plenty of guys here seem to force carb at 30psi, shaking the crap out of it a few times, and have it carb'd in an hour.

alright which one of you wise guys was it that didn't tell me to have the picnic tap attached to the beer out tower when I attached it to the pressurized keg :mad: haha just kidding. But man was that a poor decision :drunk: I went out and bought the picnic stuff. My beer sat over the weekend at 30 psi and today has absolutely no carbonation? understandably room temp doesn't do the job well but I expected at least something. Am I force carbonating incorrectly if I just leave the CO2 tank, valve open, connected to the keg? That was the procedure I followed. As of now I'm drinking warm and flat beer anyways because I made it :mug:

Back