Vacation Fermentation!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I am leaving tomorrow on vacation for 1 week. I have 2 primaries going 1 for 10 days (APA) the other for 5 (Irish Stout). I am currently unhappy with my fermentation temps 72F, but I can't help the mild weather we are having in WNC right now.

To the question. It is going to cool off a bit while I am gone (Highs in the 60, lows in the 40's). I was planning on placing them in the bathtub and not doing anything special. Do you think this is a viable option. It is going to get very cold tonight and tomorrow, so should I wrap them up in a towel or just them them be?

I'm using buckets by the way.

One of those should be totally done, and the other is almost totally done, so if you haven't had a blowoff by now, I'd think you're fine in that regard. Putting the fermenters in the bathtub is a sensible precaution, however.

Having them get colder now that fermentation is done or largely done is not going to be a problem at all. If anything they'll start to clear out faster.

Does your furnace not run when it's in the 40s? If you can just keep it at a halfway decent "room temperature", then you'd be fine. I'd shoot for the low 60s.

In our cheap apt, we have electric heat, and haven't had it on for about a week, but the beer is still warmer than I would like. The heat from the unit below is crazy warm so I think I might turn on the little heater in the bathroom.

After looking and taking FG's, neither of them are even close to done. Still lots of action with the APA, and a ton of action with the Irish Stout. I made the mistake with my Gaelic and bottled to early after 10 days of fermentation, I am letting both of these sit for at least 3 weeks in primary before bottling.

Back