another dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
Just poured in my smack pack and inside of it is a small plastic bag with some liquid in it, should that have been broke open and mixed with the yeast? I though I smacked it hard enough but not sure if this stuff is supposed to go in also or not? HELP! lol

mot said:
Just poured in my smack pack and inside of it is a small plastic bag with some liquid in it, should that have been broke open and mixed with the yeast? I though I smacked it hard enough but not sure if this stuff is supposed to go in also or not? HELP! lol

That little pack inside the smack pack is the nutrient pack. What should happen is that packet breaks inside there and "jump starts" the yeast. Don't worry about it now- but that is why your smack pack didn't swell.

Next time, push that little nutrient package to the corner, and push the heel of you hand on that. Then, "squish" it all together to make sure it mixes. That will help it swell.

Since that didn't happen, don't worry about it this time. Just pitch your yeast.

Yeah. You want to "smack" the pack to break the plastic nutrient bubble about two hours or more before you pitch your yeast. This lets it get to room temperature and gives time for the yeast to multiply. You'll know the pack is ready because it swells all the way up.

My guess is that you'll still be OK since you're still pitching yeast, you're just not pitching as much.

You dont think I should break it open and dump it in?

and another how much water do you put in the airlocks? Half full?

You don't have to dump it in now, but it won't hurt your beer if you did. The airlock should actually have a little line on it- hold it up to the light to see it. But, yes, it's about 1/2 full.

Yooper Chick said:
You don't have to dump it in now, but it won't hurt your beer if you did. The airlock should actually have a little line on it- hold it up to the light to see it. But, yes, it's about 1/2 full.

thanks again!

mot said:

The instructions are on the back of the packs. And I recommend that next time you read about making a starter for it. You'll be thankful you did.

boo boo said:
The instructions are on the back of the packs. And I recommend that next time you read about making a starter for it. You'll be thankful you did.

Yeah I knew I should have made a starter but was pressed for time, anyways I thought I smack the pack good enough I did swell up a little but not as much as I thought. The little pouch was punctured a little but not broke open decent to its full potential.

Hopefully I will just havce a lag in my fermentation, I pitched last night at around 6 or 7 I think it was, now it is 8am, I have a blow off hose on it and it is bubbling about every 11 to 13 seconds. Do you guys think I am going to be ok? There is not a whole lot of krausen on top at the moment but it is slowly bubbling

Everything else went great besides the yeast mishap, SG was right at about 1.044 where the recipe said it should be anywhere between 1.042-1.055, so atleast I got something right! lol

The funnel with the screen that came with my kit sucked, I got about a bottle of beer into my carboy before it plugged. Need to get a better strainer next time.

oh yeah forgot I am sitting at about 68 degrees right now

Yooper Chick said:
Sounds great- and you've already got fermentation. Good job!

sounds great, just wondering how vigourus the fermentation will get, but I supposed that will always change. I may have to leave it in the primary a little longer? The bubbling I have right now is that normal or is it a little slow?

It picked up quite a bit in the past hour or two now it is bubbling about every 4 or 5 sec vs the 13 it was doing before! Not much krausen on top though, not sure how much it normal either but hopefully it will be good

Back