Advice on a recipe..Wheat beer using Orange and Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
making a wheat beer I did use some Carapils and Flaked oat that I steeped for 30mns then added Wheat DME.

What are your opinions on both of these being used in a wheat beer??

Also when using Orange zest when does one add it to their boil. I added some at 5mns in and at flameout. Should I add more when racking to a secondary? If I want a more pronounced Orange flavor to the beer? Any disadvatages of adding this too early too late?

And what about crushed coriander? when to ad this to a boil?

I know kind of vague just trying to see who can answer any of these questions I have. Thanks and Cheers.

:tank:

I've always added both my citrus peals and coriander at the end of the boil, like in the last 5 minutes so as to sanitize them, while not boiling away their volitile essential oils.

cool. so within the last 5mns will help retain their flavor and sanitize at the same time?

I typically add orange zest, corriander and additional spices @ 15 min.

Your recipe may call for different times, this is just my aveage time addition.

Bull

Don't you have surgery soon?

I'm trying to get a leg up on the anesthesia.....I figured I could cut down on the whole insurance costs if I get plotzed tonight....:drunk:

The surgery got postponed til Monday.
(Tomorrow's gonna be a hoot when people are expecting me to be under the knife, and I'm posting away as usual.) ;)

It's always good to keep em guessing!

Good luck and we'll be expecting an update from the laptop on Tues.

Bull

Back