Northern Brewer hops with Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss13

Reaction score
Looking at brewing a 5-6 gall all-grain batch this weekend. I have 10lbs of Pilsner, a 1lbs of honey malt (Gambrinus) and 1lbs of Northern Brewer Hops at my disposal. I also have a pack of Saflager W34/70 Dry Yeast. What can I come up with? Please help? Will using that yeast mean a complicated lagering procedure?

You don't have to use lager temps with that yeast. The cooler the better, of course, but you can use lager at ale temps.

If I were you, I'd just mash everything in the low 150s. Throw in as much of that Northern Brewer as you'd like. Some would do one addition, some two, some three. It depends on how bitter and hoppy you want the final product. I'd bet it'd be good with a moderate bittering addition, a moderate flavor addition around 20-30 minutes and a good dose of aroma hops in the last minute or so.

Cheers!

I recently made a very nice lager.
If I recall correctly, it was 2# pilsner, 3# 2-row, 1# light munich, 2# corn, .75 oz Northern Brewer (60 min) & 34/70 yeast at 62*.
It's extremely tasty, for the fans of light lagers.
Most folks would never know that it wasn't fermented cold.

Back