Test batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joentuff

Reaction score
Ok I usually always make 5-6 gallon batches, but today I really wanted to try some thing different from my normal brews, my question is I bought packages of dry yeast and usually I put the whole package into 5 gallons, since I'm only going to do 1 gallon batches, how do I make sure I'm using the right amount of yeast? Or do I just just the entire package in each gallon? I don't want to use to little, but also don't want to use to much and have a yeast taste. Please help me out.

Use 1/3 - 1/2 packet. Keep the rest, just in case there are any problems with a start. Make sure you rehydrate it evenly (see bottom of p15 of sticky) and at around 70F and give the yeast an hour or two at that temp before moving the cider to a cooler location. If you want a guaranteed fast start you can make some starters, although that is more work than I would do for gallon test batches.

Using the whole packet is OK too. You cant really overpitch - I'd save some as an insurance policy, which you probably wont need, and toss it once the ferments are going strong.

Back