Basic Winemaking Information Here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkevj

Reaction score
So, here is what I have learned through my first wine kit based on questions in this thread:

Transferring: my instructions said to wait until the SG is at a certain level, I did so. It also said to leave the lees. Some kits dont tell you either of these, but to take all the lees to the secondary and to transfer in 5 days. Point is, every kit is different. Do what the instructions say, and you will be fine.

Degassing - one of the most important steps. Degas until it no longer foams. With my first kit and a drill mixer, took about 20-25 min. You must get all the co2 out of the wine before you bottle. Some people even degas while bulk aging.

When to bottle: I always plan on bulk aging for at least 6 months. Then you know the wine is as clear as you can get it by letting it sit, and should be degassed. I use #9 corks with a hand corker and they work fine, just takes a bit of work.

As far as equipment, the only equipment I bought for wine that I didnt already have for beer was 2 6 gallon carboys, a wine thief, the drill stirrer, some K metabisulfite for long term aging, and the corker. I have a friend who owns an italian restaurant, and he has his staff save the empty bottles the customers drink, and also asked the bartender at the country club i am a member at to save bottles. I amassed over 60 bottles in about 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back