Triple Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteSlark

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good Belgian Triple extract recipe? Or a good kit to order?

I live in a state that has a limited beer selection and recently visited a place that I was able to get Chimay Cinq Cents and Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit, and I loved them both.

So, I think its time to make my first Belgian Ale.

Also, since there are several Trappist yeasts available, what would you all suggest?

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of WLP530 and WLP500. WLP530 is a stronger fermenter (up to 15% ABV) but a bit less estery than WLP500.

Be sure to make a hefty starter that you step up a couple of times prior to pitching.

If using lme with the tripel you'll want to be doing a late-addition, too. Otherwise it's hard to keep it at a light enough color.

I haven't used kits from anywhere, but have brewed a couple of recipes out of the brewmaster's bible. I don't think I can repost them here due to copyright problems, though. Abbey Ale on p226 and Tripple on p234.

This recipe (from DeFalco's) also turns out well:

Deep gold hue, strong, slightly sweet with a slight hop bite
2 lbs. Old Bavarian Munich Blend
6 lbs. light malt extract
1 lb. light brown (or white candi) sugar (end of boil)
1/2 lb. Belgian Cara-pils malt
2 lbs. Belgian pilsner malt
1 1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (bittering)
1 oz. Fuggles hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz hops (finishing)
2 pkgs. Safbrew T-58 (Wyeast #1214, #1388, #1762 or White Labs Trappist or Abbey Ale Yeast)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (for priming)
O.G. - 1.074 -- F. G. - 1.016

Cheers!

I did a simple tripel recently based on a blond recipe I made that turned out great. The tripel is: three cans Alexanders pale(4lb each), 0.5lb carapils, 2oz styrian goldings pellets, Irish moss, and whitelabs belgian ale BLEND. I personally love this yeast, gives a flavor similar to Leffe or Grimbergen blond, or Ommegang Rare Vos. The blond I did was two cans Alexanders pale, one pound dry amber, 1.5oz styrian goldings, and the same yeast, it is my favorite brew to date. Belgians RULE! The blond is 6.6%abv, and the tripel will finish around 9.5

Back