How much bourbon should I add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
I want to add bourbon to the pumpkin dubbel I'm planning, but I'm not sure how much. I want a hint of bourbon flavor, but certainly nothing that is over powering. I had originally thought of adding bourbon soaked oak chips but then decided to just add bourbon directly. This will be a 5 gallon batch. How much do you think would work well--1 cup?

This will be a gluten free batch so the flavors are different than barley based beer.

A good rule of thumb is 2 cups per 5 gallons to give decent flavor. That's almost 10 ml per bottle. And adjust up or down from there.

Want to know what this does to a beer; pour yourself a beer (12 ozs) and add 2 teaspoons to it, stir and drink. ....... 0r 1 teaspoon to half a beer.

2 teaspoons = 10 ml: which is the equivalent of about 17 ozs in 5 gallons.

I recently made a RIS and added one pint (375mL) of Makers Mark to the secondary. The bourbon flavor is not nearly as strong as I thought it would be. It is there, but it does not take over or dominate. A Dubbel is not quite as roasty/rich as a RIS, so you may want to tone that amount down slightly to compensate for the lighter flavors of the base beer.

You want to add the bourbon post fermentation, at packaging time. Pour yourself 4 2 oz. samples of the beer and dose each with a different measured amount of bourbon. Then taste them. PIck the one that tastes best to you and scale that amount of bourbon up to the batch size. That's how I decided on the right amount of bourbon for my BVIP recipe. Err on the side of too little, if anything.

Back