Replacement Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmmcdonn

Reaction score
I began my new lifetime hobby last night with a BB Imperial Pale Ale kit as my first beer.

I wasn't fond of the idea of using all columbus hops as included in the kit, so I decided to change things around. I am wondering if anyone could provide me with some input as to whether the new hop schedule is adequate (ie did I add enough hops) for an IPA, and where do I tend to stand vs the original recipe?

The original hop schedule was as follows:

2oz Columbus 14.4% 60min
1oz Columbus 14.2% 30min
1oz Columbus 14.4% 5min

Here is my replacement schedule

1oz Columbus 14.4% 60min
1oz Simcoe 12.2% 45min
1oz Amarillo 7.5% 25min
1oz Cascade 5.5% 5min
1oz Cascade 7.5% DH (whole leaf, probably for 10-14 days)

Also, I upped the recipe from the suggested 2.5 gallon to almost 3 because I thought this would increase hop utilization, making up for the less AA%.

Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Thanks,

Chad

Well if it were mine, I'd put the Simcoe - Amarillo additions at 15 and 10 minutes, and the Cascade at flameout.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be sure to note this somewhere in my recipe. Something to consider for the next time.

I highly suggest following Yooper's Da House Pale hop schedule for the basis of any Pale or IPA schedule.

60 min
Knock Out

Amounts will vary depending on the AA% and hops used and batch size.

I would do:

1 oz Columbus 60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe 30 minutes
.5 oz Cascade 10 minutes
1 oz Amarillo 5 minutes
.5 oz Simcoe + .5 oz cascade + .5 oz Amarillo at Knock Out.

I am definitely noting all of these suggestions, but I am already in the primary. My question is geared more toward what type of result should I expect using the hop schedule that I did.
By the looks of the responses I got, the aroma may be a little dull. Should I dry hop it longer than 2 weeks to try and remedy this?

At this point, I would say to leave it be; stick with the plan, enjoy the fine beer you will end up with, and decide what to do on future brews based on what you think about this one.

Slightly lower IBUs, but not much. I think your recipe will produce superior aroma because you have more than one kind of hop. I feel that produces more complex oil profiles than massive amounts of one hop.

Two weeks is max for dry hopping. If you don't have the aroma by then, change out the hops.

Based on my experience, hop flavor and aroma will both be a bit dull, but then I've turned into quite the hop head.

I've got a local commercial IIPA on tap right now. The brewer claims it's nothing but Columbus, and it is an epic beer IMO.

Latest posts

Back