First batch fermenting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jov3n

Reaction score
I just finished brewing on Sunday and was wondering when I will start to see activity in the blow out tube...it's only been 24 hrs. lol...I have little patience

photo.php

If you have little patience, then brewing isn't the right hobby to be getting into. Better beer comes with time.

You should see activity within 72 hours, but keep in mind that the airlock bubbling doesn't mean you have fermentation or not. Even if it doesn't bubbling, things could be taking place.

A few tips:

1. Get used to using your hydrometer to determine when your beer is done. It's the most important tool in brewing.
2. Let every beer you make sit in the primary fermentor for AT LEAST 2-3 weeks, if not longer. I let most of my beers (except for IPA's and wheats) go for 4 weeks. Once I know they're fermenting, I don't look at them again for a month. Your beer with improve just by allowing the extra time to clean up off flavors that may have been created during fermentation.

The first batch is the hardest because you have no homebrew to drink.

If patience is an issue, do not bottle. Only keg. No bottle carbonation issues with kegging although you still want the brew to condition and time is always the key.

I just brewed a batch of wheat beer and used an older smack pack of yeast. It took about 48 hours before I saw some action. It was not as active as my other beers and was really worried that I messed up. Turns out that because it was older yeast, they were just a bit sluggish. With a little time (3 weeks) I got my FG to 1.010 where it should be. It'll probably be just fine. Just make sure you use fresh yeast, a yeast starter if possible, and aerate well. That with the correct temps, you'll see a lot more activity faster.:rockin:

I appreciate the responses...I was only kidding that I have no patience. I am just really excited this first go-around. I know this is the hobby for me.

@ trevorc13: I used a wyeast smack pack, and the guy who sold it to me at the store assured me it was fresh...anyway 48+ hrs in the carboy and I'm seeing alot more action in the blowout tube. IT'S ALIIIIVVE!!!! woot:mug:

Back