Boil Keggle dip tube parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuie

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to place an order from morebeer for a (legal) boil keggle conversion. I want to install a diptube similar to the one in the pic from the Blichmann website that is posted below. I'm not trying to re-engineer the Blichmann tube, I just want my diptube as close to side of the keggle as possible. I just don't want a false bottom type tube that extends to the center of the keg bottom.

My morebeer shopping cart has (1) 1/2" ball valve, (1) 1/2" MPT compression fitting, some high temp o-rings, and a 1/2" section of SS tubing to cut the dip tube from. I already have the bulkhead washers here. Do I need anything else?

Here's the Blichmann tube, pic from the Blichmann website, just as an example:

dip.jpg

Here's the compression fitting and valve that are in my morebeer cart:

compfitting.jpg
valve.jpg

...and I'll use this as a donor to cut a smaller section of tubing from, so it doesn't extend to the center of the keggle.

tube.jpg

TIA.

shuie, why not go to the center?

My thought was to keep as close to the side as possible for stirring/whirlpooling. My MLT has the typical tube to the center of the keggle and I always feel like it's in the way when I stir.

That's about the same pickup system i've used on my last 11 (legal) Bush kegs but added an extra 90 placing the tube close to the kegs outside wall.

Thanks. So you have a 90 degree threaded elbow off of the valve at the bulkhead?

My thought was to keep as close to the side as possible for stirring/whirlpooling. My MLT has the typical tube to the center of the keggle and I always feel like it's in the way when I stir.
Yeah, that's the compromise with a keggle, you either go for the center for pretty much full liquid removal, or go from the side and leave quite a bit.
I don't whirlpool; I have a Sabco screen to filter the hops and break. That setup only leaves about a cup in the bottom.

Back