difference between s-type and 3 piece air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teej_810

Reaction score
anyone know what the real signicance is to the s type air lock versus the 3 piece. just curious. All i know is they say the s-type is better for secondary fermentation for some reason

S type is shaped like an S, and yes it is hard to clean.

3 piece has 3 pieces, . . . . As long as you keep barrier fluid (vodka/starsan/water) in either of them, they will work the same.

I always use blow-off tube for the first 4-5 days, then S type. I find you are much less likely to get whatever you've filled the airlock with sucked backed into the fermenter with the S type, and they require less refilling (for longer fermentations.)

I use both, 3 piece is alot easier to clean. But I like the sound of the bubbles coming from the s type. Sometimes I listen to the sound in bed, it is like a lullaby. It is such a beautiful sound. Blurp, Blurp, Blurp, glipp, Blurp , Blurp, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:eek::eek::eek:

Latest posts

Back