Transplant now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartmr

Reaction score
I have a year one Cascade that has only grown about 3-4 feet since late March, early April. About 15 feet away, a Mt Hood planted a month and a half later is at 8+ feet.

I think the area is far too shady. I have another place in mind with better sun nearby that i was going to till with a bunch of good manure/compost. Should I just transplant it now to get it established for next year? I don't expect any yield.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

It'll be much happier if you let it finish out this season right where it is. That way, when it wakes up next Spring, it'll never know it was moved. Same principle applies to waiting until someone passes out before coloring them with the EL~MARKO. They sometimes 'fuss' if they're still a little coherent. It's your call.

Yeah, I would wait as well. I put a few in some of the those party 15 gallon tubs and they have done really well. However this fall i'm going to expand my trellis and add them to it so I will be transplanting in the spring. My advantage would be that I don't have to cut in the roots, but your root system is more extensive but you will be cutting into it.

Staurtmr, what part of Cincinnati are you from? I have 8 different plants maybe we could do some hop or rhizome trading?

West side, definitely up for some sharing. By the way, I goofed in my original post. I have centennial and mt hood.

Back