Best way to pour homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
Hi, iv got two questions but are related...

1) What is the best way to pour PET 750mL (2.27 cans roughly) bottles, so that you don't get the yeast? Do other members pour into a jug first or just to the glass?

2) Iv got a Muntons Premium Lager made with Saflager S-23 yeast. Its 4weeks old since first bottled. The yeast has formed a "bed" at the bottom of the bottle, but the next 2 inches of the bottle has lots of sediment floating around. The bottles haven't been moved - iv never had this before even after 2 weeks in the bottle. Have others used this yeast?

Thanks!

Once you start the pour, don't stop, or you'll have sediment. Either decant to another "jug," or have several glasses ready.

Lagers take longer to ferment, condition, carbonate, and mature. Give it time.

Yuri_Rage said:
Once you start the pour, don't stop, or you'll have sediment. Either decant to another "jug," or have several glasses ready.

Lagers take longer to ferment, condition, carbonate, and mature. Give it time.

Well I normally have a continuous poor but poor as slow as possible.

Hmm maybe the lager hasn't fully carbed, yet I opened one earlier and it seemed ok. BIG bubbles in the head tho. Tasted a lil green but drinkable.

I pour commercial beers slowly, but pour my homebrews much faster- the extra agitation leads to a nicer head. This could just be due to bad head retention in my beers so far, though.

Before I even pop the top I rinse out my glass with cold water.

Raise the glass and tip to a 45 degree angle and slowly pour down the inside of the glass (near the rim). As it fills I bring it upright. Nearing the top you can pour closer to the middle to increase the head.

Viola!! Sorry, PROSIT!! :D

I've found the 22oz bottles that the yeast sediment gets trapped just below the neck of the bottle. Pouring carefully should be fine.

I pour at an angle on the side of the glass and end up leaving about the last 1/2 inch or so (maybe 3/4) in the bottom and don 't poor.:mug:

Back