1951 hotpoint homebrew fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveMillerTime said:
You are correct, you lose pressure not volume when the tank gets cold. However, when you lose that pressure you can no longer push the beer out. By leaving the bottle outside where it can remain at room temperature you'll be able to push more beer.

It all comes down to molecules. Warm/Hot molecules move faster (more pressure) than cold molecules. So in theory, by having a colder tank you are reducing how much beer you can push.

If you want proof, run your tank cold until the gauge says you're low on pressure. Then take it out and leave it to get to room temperature (assuming your temperature is above 50*F) you should see a significant increase in gas pressure next time you turn the tank on.

Sorry but this is just not true at ALL! Been a while since boyles law, but the amount of co2 in the tank doesn't change cold or warm. Well ok maybe a warm tank would push another pint...Is that your point?

By the time your tank reaches line pressure it is virtually empty...and yes a warm tank would give a few light puffs more.

Tank pressure means very little...the amount or weight of gas in the tank means everything irregardless of temperature.

Sorry but this is just not true at ALL! Been a while since boyles law, but the amount of co2 in the tank doesn't change cold or warm. Well ok maybe a warm tank would push another pint...Is that your point?

By the time your tank reaches line pressure it is virtually empty...and yes a warm tank would give a few light puffs more.

Tank pressure means very little...the amount or weight of gas in the tank means everything irregardless of temperature.

I will read your post regardless of your use of the word irregardless. :)

I will read your post regardless of your use of the word irregardless. :)

Haha...good one, I had no idea there aint no such word...thanks for the tip! But I will stand fast on the fallacy that warm gas is more, more or less...haven't seen anyone building a CO2 tank warmer on the boards to get more mileage out of their co2 tanks....cheers!

Haha...good one, I had no idea there aint no such word...thanks for the tip! But I will stand fast on the fallacy that warm gas is more, more or less...haven't seen anyone building a CO2 tank warmer on the boards to get more mileage out of their co2 tanks....cheers!

I am prone to agree with you about this. It's pretty interesting because I can't quite figure it out but I think Im pretty close! It wouldn't be related to Boyle's law but actually Gay-Lussac's Law which relates temperature to pressure. If kept outside of the fridge the pressure would be higher and if the regulator allowed a standard pressure through you would be using less CO2 right? But once inside of the headspace in the actual keg it would be cooled and contract needing more CO2 molecules to pressurize and force the beer out. This would be the same as just having both tanks in the fridge. I think (but am not sure) if you left the CO2 tank outside of the fridge you could get more use but only if the keg was also outside of the fridge. But since Im into drinking cold beer my tanks both stay in the fridge!!! Correct me if Im wrong!

If you use every bit of gas out of your CO2 tank, it'll just cost more to fill it up. (if charged per lb of gas)

You will be able to go longer between fills, theoretically, but by how much?

Just get the biggest tank you can, and relax, don't worry, you know the drill :tank:

Latest posts

Back