Idiot beer snobs-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By saying this, you are saying that you see them as uneducated, which is extremely condescending. If they want to try something new, they'll try it.

Really, If you get invited to dinner and are asked to bring a dish do you call them to find out what their favorite is? Because I typically try to bring something that is my specialty that they may have never tried before. I know my friends would do the same.

Really, If you get invited to dinner and are asked to bring a dish do you call them to find out what their favorite is? Because I typically try to bring something that is my specialty that they may have never tried before. I know my friends would do the same.

Yes, people are getting all bent out of shape on language here. All the guy does is leave them some free beer for chrissakes!

No but it is condescending to decide that your way is better than theirs, and ELECT YOURSELF to be their teacher. Did they ask you to teach them? Sounds like you've elected yourself prophet of beer and feel the need to knock on their doors or stand on the street corner shouting your beliefs to them, and just like those folks give Christianity a bad name, your attitude of superiority to me gives beer enthusiasts a bad name.

I guess if he poured out their BMC and replaced it with his beer, but he is just leaving it, and I say God bless him. If I had more friends like that I wouldn't have to brew!

That's completely different as you are not trying to change tastes of theirs which you opine as wrong and uneducated. Rather you are being nice and bringing something you know how to make well.

But are you looking down on them for their initial menu choices? Do you think, "Eww they're so white trash because they eat spam, I'm going to whip up duck confit, because they need to have their palate educated?" That's the difference. Tinga is judging them for their choice of bmc and then trying to "improve" them by the wonder of craft beerianity. Just like the missionaries who decided that the native peoples were ingnorant and needed the enlightenment of belief in Christ.

No but it is condescending to decide that your way is better than theirs, and ELECT YOURSELF to be their teacher. Did they ask you to teach them? Sounds like you've elected yourself prophet of beer and feel the need to knock on their doors or stand on the street corner shouting your beliefs to them, and just like those folks give Christianity a bad name, your attitude of superiority to me gives beer enthusiasts a bad name.

I have never said that I think my way is better than theirs. I have previously said that all I want to do is expose people. And don't give me this "If they want to be exposed they will be exposed" BS.

That's completely different as you are not trying to change tastes of theirs which you opine as wrong and uneducated. Rather you are being nice and bringing something you know how to make well.

How is bringing food to someones house without asking them what they want different from bringing beer to their house without asking them what they want? You only bring them food you think they will like and I'm only bringing them beer I think they will like.

A wise winemaker once said:

“Trust your own palette. “Don’t pay attention to what other people say... People have to follow their hearts, and if their hearts lead them to Wal-Mart, so be it."
If you have a Walmart palette, that's fine. That's YOUR choice, so you're not wrong, no matter what other people with their so called "educated palettes" tell you. Why does everyone need to listen to some yuppie-duppy's opinion about what is best?

No one made me in charge but it's my passion. I look at this nudge as more of education and exposure. I like sharing my education with others. The way I think of my polite nudge is that if people like the beer they will buy it instead of the BMC. My only intent is to expose people to beers these people might not know exist.

and thats fine. I try to get my dad to try my homebrews. most of my friends have a varied taste in beer. Don't know a lot of people that ONLY drink bud or coors. But don't call up a radio show and tell a bunch of people to watch beer wars as if it's the gospel of beer.

How is bringing food to someones house without asking them what they want different from bringing beer to their house without asking them what they want? You only bring them food you think they will like and I'm only bringing them beer I think they will like.

Wait a minute. This is completely different than what you said earlier. Bringing beer you think they will like is fine. Leaving whatever is leftover is expected (taking back what you brought is a little rude :D). However, your initial statements of your reasoning for leaving the beer is what set this off. If you're reason for bringing the beer and leaving it behind is to convert them, then that's condescending.

Wait a minute. This is completely different than what you said earlier. Bringing beer you think they will like is fine. Leaving whatever is leftover is expected (taking back what you brought is a little rude :D). However, your initial statements of your reasoning for leaving the beer is what set this off. If you're reason for bringing the beer and leaving it behind is to convert them, then that's condescending.

I'm not him, but I think what he's saying is:

He has friends that drink BMC. These friends have not been exposed to other beers, whether because they thought it was too expensive, or force of habit, or whatever.

He feels that they would like the other beer if they gave it a shot, so he leaves them some beer.

If they don't end up liking it, then he doesn't seem to care much.

to me this isn't much different then those free trials offered in Costco or something. No risk trial to see if you'd like it.

I want people to make their own choices. If they like what I leave behind score one for me and my secret agenda. If not I've done all I can do. I don't see how it is bad for me to expose people to things I think they may like if I want them to like it.

I'm not him, but I think what he's saying is:

He has friends that drink BMC. These friends have not been exposed to other beers, whether because they thought it was too expensive, or force of habit, or whatever.

He feels that they would like the other beer if they gave it a shot, so he leaves them some beer.

If they don't end up liking it, then he doesn't seem to care much.

to me this isn't much different then those free trials offered in Costco or something. No risk trial to see if you'd like it.

Exactly. :mug:

This thread really HAS become the epitome of anti snob snobbery!

And don't give me this "If they want to be exposed they will be exposed" BS.

In this decade you'd have to be living in a fallout shelter not to know that there are beers other than BMC in this world.

It's on every grocery store shelf, newspapers and magazines do stories on craft beer and even homebrewing all the time. The food network, the discovery channel, the history channel all regularly have things about beer. Almost any city any more has a beer fest, which are covered by the local media. There are commercials for sam adams on tv constantly, sam caligione had a tv show for christ sakes.

I don't think people don't know there are alternatives to their beloved BMC anymore. Like I said even in 1985 I knew there were beers out there that I like better.

I think I'm pretty hardcore beer advocate/beer educator, probably more so than you, and I would NEVER do what you do.

I think that's your problem, you have a "secret agenda" I just have a passion for beer. ALL BEER.

I want people to make their own choices. If they like what I leave behind score one for me and my secret agenda. If not I've done all I can do. I don't see how it is bad for me to expose people to things I think they may like if I want them to like it.

This is the sticking point I have with your argument. But that's just me and I'll leave it at that.

my view is that when a company goes public it is no longer legal for that company to be about the beer. the company has a legal obligation to their investors best interests. That interest of course is making money. In turn this legal obligation leads to dumb marketing and gimmicks that drives consumer demand... somehow. These gimmicks and cuts in production quality for the sake of a margin make the majority of beer drinkers lose sight of what real beer really is. Now in my opinion that's bad so I vote with my dollars for craft brewing. Other people don't care so they vote with their dollars to buy what they want. They don't care about craft beer so why would they pay more? I personally would like them too so I try my best to politely nudge them in my direction but I can't change everyone I would like to. By politely nudge I mean whenever I go to the house of people that drink BMC I try to leave a couple bottles of something I think they would enjoy from a smaller brewer.

Here is Tinga's original post. Doesn't sound like a missionaryto me, just a good friend.

I have a neighbor that buys Busch Lite all the time. He likes it. He also loves my beer. He even wants to look into brewing. All the while he still walks around with a Busch Lite in his hand. Is he wrong for that? Has he "done been ejamacated" now that he has had homebrew and craft beers? Knowing him I'm quessing he'll have Busch Lite around even if he becomes a NBC Homebrewer of the Year just because that's him. It doesn't make him any less of a beer drinker.

Also he knows about beer flavors and styles. He can tell me more about the flavors in my brews that anyone else I've met. He may not know how or why the flavors are there, but he has the palate for them.

The point is people like what they like. Some may not have experince all that the world has to offer, but that does mean they don't know what they like. I love Spam sandwiches. I also love to fix and eat gormet foods. Does my love for Spam make me white trash? Does my love of exotic foods make me a food snob?

Life is too short. Love what you love, and let the other guy love what he loves.

The point is people like what they like. Some may not have experince all that the world has to offer, but that does mean they don't know what they like. I love Spam sandwiches. I also love to fix and eat gormet foods. Does my love for Spam make me white trash? Does my love of exotic foods make me a food snob?

Life is too short. Love what you love, and let the other guy love what he loves.

I think this is where the thread should just die a peaceful death at...Best sentiments I've seen.

:mug:

(And we'll prove LGI wrong about this thread degenerating) ;)

I think I'm pretty hardcore beer advocate/beer educator, probably more so than you, and I would NEVER do what you do.

I think that's your problem, you have a "secret agenda" I just have a passion for beer. ALL BEER.

Oh, get off your high horse.

Oh, get off your high horse.

Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

;)

I can't tell if you're agreeing to disagree or making a playful "you're doing it wrong" statement.

The whole smiley face thing is always weird coming from folks twice my age.

I was into wine in a big way and had over 1000 bottles laid down at one time....still managed to stay away from the snobbery side of things.

With beer I either brew my own or buy local as much as possible...which is fine considering several excellent breweries are close by. Well...I do buy a few Belgians now and again to measure myself against. Not a snob thing...just a preference for good beer thing. But then I don't shop at Wal Mart either.

If Tinga's friends are his age, they may be where Revvy was 25 years ago. If all you have had is BMC, you might not know the difference. If you are not a beer freak, like us, you might not notice all the info our there on Micros.
He is just trying to turn them to the dark side. "Powerful with persuasion he could be, mmmm?" (in my best Yoda voice)

Tinga, come over to my house and I'll teach you all about great craft beers, which beers are good, which suck, what to buy. also, whenever I go to your house, I'm going to bring and leave beers which you must try at least once.

see? condescending as a mofo. or, moto.

Tinga, come over to my house and I'll teach you all about great craft beers, which beers are good, which suck, what to buy. also, whenever I go to your house, I'm going to bring and leave beers which you must try at least once.

Please come to my house and be condescending by leaving free beer.

Yes that is a little condescending. But if you bring over a surprise six pack I didn't ask for in hopes of getting me to switch to something you think I might like that may be a different story. In fact I would welcome it. Even if you want me to like it.

This is what I think about all this: In a world where something like 95+% of the beer market is dominated by two companies making a very similar product, buying and enjoying craft beer is an inherently subversive act. You are in the extreme minority, the fringes.

And, surprise surprise, people in subversive fringe groups tend to be disdainful of the mainstream they have departed, regardless of whether or not that disdain is fair or deserved. This is true whether you are talking about something as trivial as craft beer aficionados or indie gamers, or as important as a milestone political or cultural movement. It's just the way it goes.

So I say to the unrepentant beer snobs: Yeah, you are probably being a bit of a dick, but then again that's understandable. Just try and be a bit more contemplative about why you feel that way... is it the BMC beer itself that pisses you off, or is it merely the fact that most people are ignorant that alternatives even exist?

And I say to the beer snob-haters: Oh come on, get over yourself. You are really concerned that BMC drinkers are being picked on? The people who can find their favorite beer in virtually any grocery store or bar in the country -- no no, in the world -- and dirt cheap at that? Those whose beer drinking proclivities are the expected norm by virtually everyone they meet, who might occasionally need to tolerate the odd beer snob who is a little rude about the difference in taste preference? Cry me a river.

If you are in a privileged super-majority, you don't get to whine about being persecuted. Period.

on the flip side, i'm gonna go to your house and leave red dog.

I just find it amusing that a bunch of people see someone leaving their friends beers they think they would enjoy if they tried them as the equivalent of him busting through the wall Kool-Aid man style, slamming down a couple of micro brews and screaming "Drink mutha ef'a or I'll rape your sister with a kitten!"

Yes that is a little condescending. But if you bring over a surprise six pack I didn't ask for in hopes of getting me to switch to something you think I might like that may be a different story. In fact I would welcome it. Even if you want me to like it.

yeah, i mean, if your friends are into trying different craft beers, that's fine. but, if your intent is to educate the unwashed, it's condescending. i don't really care if you're being condescending. i do it all the time. lol.

but, i think that's what ace and revvy's point was - you are self defining yourself as the "teacher" and they are the "student" of something they might not even care about.

come to jesus, children.....

Back