pLambic Primary Fermentation in Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessup

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience they would like to share? I know Bobby_M has maybe 2 under his belt if he's out there. I've expected the obvious like keeping headspace for krausen and using a blow off. I'll top off later to kill the headspace and prepare for the full angels share over a long aging on the assorted buggies. Anyone wanna plays devils advocate for me here? What am I forgetting?

jessup, i just got a second barrel at 15 or 20 gallons. (it looks bigger than my 15.5)
Maybe ill join your primary trial.
It gets done traditionally.

Also my flanders in 2 months out from bottling.
I'll send you some when i do.

I primary in my barrels. After each turn I like to rinse the dregs out before adding the next batch of wort. I also leave some head space until the secondary settles down then top of for the next 6 months.

BW

I primary in my barrels. After each turn I like to rinse the dregs out before adding the next batch of wort. I also leave some head space until the secondary settles down then top of for the next 6 months.

BW

Do you re-pitch any bugs every time you put a new batch in, or just go with what's resident in the wood?

You certainly don't have to repitch once the wood is infected. You couldn't kill it off if you tried. However, I do like to keep adding various cultures and bottle dregs whenever possible just to keep things interesting. If you'd like to stave off obnoxious vinegar character (acetic acid), you've got to keep that barrel topped right off after primary, even if it means adding a little preboiled water.

I added more brett to the last barrel just after primary. Once the brett fermentation settles the plan is to add 25 gallons from the first pull to top off.

Like Bobby, I plan to add bugs and bretts along the way to keep the product in flux, allowing for more variation in the cellar.

BW

Back