Places for brewing: Storm Cellar Vs Shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewing_bman

Reaction score
Ok. I am going to start brewing soon and have two choices of places to brew since my girlfriend will not let me brew in the house due to smell, room and animals. The two places I can choose from is the shed/garage out back. It has electric and is pretty basic otherwise. I would need to block off an area to keep out light and such. On the other hand the storm cellar would be easier to keep from sunlight but I would need to run electric, either by running a drop cord out or actually running a new line. I was wondering what would be a better place? If it makes any difference I live in the Missouri. Thank you for any tips, tricks and suggestions regarding this.

How do you plan on brewing, electric of gas? What location is more temperature stable?

We brew in the garage or outside when its nice out. We brew on the side burner of an old grill right now. It works out great if you have the room to store a grill.

Why not ask your girlfriend where you can brew? J/K

If you're just starting, you can brew pretty much anywhere. Possibly on the side of the house or in the drive. Either building will suffice for a fermentation chamber if electrical is easily supplied. I would brew a little before I decided which direction to go. You might decide that 5 gal. or less extract batches are all you want to do. Maybe check with your local HB Club and see what the other people are using. Remember:
"Incrementalization is the enemy of the efficient brewer". Yeah, I made that up. - Dwain

Back