4 am Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquabloke

Reaction score
I was woken up this morning to a crashing noise of my table giving way and 40 pints of brewing cider floating along the bedroom carpet.

Several towels and swear words later we managed to prevent the cider from entering the living room via the ceiling. (New carpet may be the next project)

Anyway, my good wife has a bin of bitter that has been fermenting for a week now and after the event we have all the windows open to try to dry the room out. Outside temp is 19c today but obviously will cool overnight and I am under strict orders to ventilate the bedroom at all cost :eek:

Will her bitter survive the lower temps or is it the end for that too? I tested it at 3.86% with the hydrometer but at just 1 week in the primary I expect the yeast is still busy. Will it harm anything if I move it to another room as in disturb it ?

I am completely new to brewing and the forum so please don't laugh too much :eek: on top of that I have sleep deprivation :p

I ferment most of my ales at 16-17C (fermentation temperature, not room temperature). Remember than 5 gallons of liquid won't change temperature very quickly, and many ale yeast strains will ferment at 14C!

I ferment most of my ales at 16-17C (fermentation temperature, not room temperature). Remember than 5 gallons of liquid won't change temperature very quickly, and many ale yeast strains will ferment at 14C!

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I will insulate it against any drafts and leave it where it is then. Im sure after a couple of days the carpet will have dried out hmmmm.

Don't worry about the higher temps since most of the fermentation is done. Wrap a thick blanket around it to protect it from the cold over night.

Back