Argh...squeezed the grain bag...am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezatnova

Reaction score
Made a barleywine batch today, and for some reason, decided I wanted max flavor/usage out of the grain and wrung the bag to get the liquid all out. Now, of course, I read on here that that's a terrible thing to do and will lead to off flavors. Am I likely screwed? If it helps determine, I tasted a bit and it's pretty sweet (which I would think it should be). OG looked spot on at 1090.

I can't tell you just how much the tannins that we hear about will affect the flavor of your beer. I can't say I know of anyone who has actually done this. For all I know, it's just like autolysis; something we all know and worry about but few have experienced.

I wouldn't worry about it, but be sure to let everyone know what the results are.

If anything it'll be a little astringent. You might not notice it and you might get lucky. Just ride it out and see how it goes. On a beer that big it might hide under all the alcohol.

I am betting you will not notice. I have "pushed" the liquid from the grains before, and not had any noticeable flavor difference.

But... You must never do it again;);)

Squeezing the grains can release tannins with the operative word being can not will. You aren't the first to do this and you won't be the last, but I doubt you hurt your beer.

I squeezed my grain bag on batch #2 and can not a difference. Just guessing but with a OG that high I can't see you seeing a difference on that one.

If you were making a delicate brew maybe more of a problem but . . . .

Thanks all,

That's exactly what I got to thinking last night...if I were making a pilsner or something, I would be more worried about squeezing that grain bag then I am, making this big barleywine. All this malt, hops, and alcohol should mask any idiocy on my part for wringing out the bag! :D

Back