Hops Still In While Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whirlybirds

Reaction score
I recently bought a few new 15.9 gallon fermenters with spigots built into them. The strainer I'm currently using is way to big to use on these fermenters and will most likely result in losing a lot of beer on my floor. I'm planning on just leaving the hops in the wert while fermenting but does this have any affect on the IBU's? Is there a chance that a lot of hops will still be in my beer when transferring to bottles or keg straight from the fermenter? I will be moving the fermenter to transfer the beer but I will be giving it a few hours to rest. This will be the first time I've done this and I'm a little worried on how this is going to affect my beer.

Many folks do just that. You can try whirlpooling then let the wort settle for about 30-40 minutes, most trub will settle out and you can rack or pump off the top into your fermentor.

When I used to use an immersion chiller I threw my pellets straight into the boil. I'd then chill it and dump all the contents from the kettle into the fermenting bucket. I never noticed any difference between my beers doing this or when I would separate the trub.

CraigT said:
When I used to use an immersion chiller I threw my pellets straight into the boil. I'd then chill it and dump all the contents from the kettle into the fermenting bucket. I never noticed any difference between my beers doing this or when I would separate the trub.

I guess I'm more concerned about increased IBU's.

Whirlybirds said:
I guess I'm more concerned about increased IBU's.

You're only really going to get an increase in bittering IBUs from the amount of time (the longer it is the more IBUs gleaned) and weights of hops used during your boil. Hop additions during the last 15 minutes will contribute to flavour and, to a certain extent, aroma. Hop additions after flame out will mainly contribute to aroma. Leaving your hops in during fermentation is not going to net an increase in bitterness, if that's what you are worried about, and a lot of people leave hops in their fermenting brews until bottling time.

You are fine, dont worry about it. No off flavors or extra IBUs.

The whole anti trub and hop matter sentiment on here comes from people who use chill plates. It has irrationally carried over into all chill methods.

I strain, but generally am not that worried about what gets in the fermenter. The only reason I strain is so I can fit more beer in my carboy, instead of wasting space on trub and hops.

Back