Weird deposit on bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlovaton

Reaction score
Hello, I just bottled my first batch of BPA, and everything looked, tasted, smelled great, from boilling to primary to secondary, but now, after 4 days, apart from the normal yeast deposit on the bottom of my bottles, there seems to be something, looks like yeast, forming on the top also. Is this normal, should I do something about it??? thanks in advance for any info...:confused:

What color is it? I read in Charlie Papazian's homebrew book that it might be bad news if it's a clear film or scum that sticks to the top of the bottle, just above where the beer is filled to. A more experienced user here should probably confirm this though, I could be wrong.

It most likely a mini-krausen from the yeast carbing the beer. It should settle out with time.

I've had this before with a batch of stout, and it was just that: a mini-krausen. It looked nasty at first, but within 2 weeks it had settled back into the beer. The beer itself seemed to take a little longer to condition (I think at about 5 weeks in bottle it was still a very green-tasting) but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the second krausen ... at any rate, the beer turned out great.

Probably the best thing to do now would be to wait and see ... if it goes down, you're probably fine. Even if it doesn't go down, taste it after 3 weeks. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Ziggy: it is difficult to be sure about the color, because Im using both green and brown bottles, but if I had to describe it, I would say witish and kind of granuled, looks a lot like the yeast on the bottom.
shawnbou: this is good news because my beer migth still be safe, but bad news because I am ansious to taste and see how my first batch came out.
Any suggestions on what I should be brewing next and what is the best place to buy ingredients online???

Ale yeast is top growing, and carbonation is a mini fermentation, and sometimes you get to see the mini krausen form and fall. It will fall on it's own and become the sediment layer we all know and love.

But most folks jsut stick their bottles in the closet for three weeks, and don't stare incessantly at them. So they don't see them.

Besides, it's sorta like a watched pot, or actually grass growing, there's not really much to see as you beer carbs and conditions. :D

Back