Noob Imperial IPA Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason1781

Reaction score
I want to make a hoppy Imperial IPA for my next brew. I have never made an IPA or a big beer before and I could use some suggestions or tips.

Here are my plans:
10lbs Briess DME-Gold
1Ib Crystal 20L
1.5oz Magnum 60 minutes
1.5oz Ahtanum 30 minutes
.5oz Ahtanum 15 minutes
1 Tbsp Irish Moss 15 minutes
.5oz Cascade 5 minutes
.5oz Cascade 5 Dry Hop
2 jars of White labs California Ale WLP001

When I was buying this, the owner of the LHBS told me to use 2 jars of yeast and to make a starter because there is a lot of DME in this. How much DME, yeast, and water should I use for a starter? He also said I would have to splash the beer around a little bit every day during fermentation, should I do that?

Any advice would help me a lot.
Thanks guys

If you have two tubes of yeast you will only need 1 to make the starter. Save the other tube for the next brew. There is lots of info on starters and how to make them try mrmalty.com Or search this site or google. As far as shaking this around the californial ale is a pretty good yeast, as far as attenuation so Yes shake this around in the beginning only every 30 min every time you think about it or everytime you can, get as much oxygen as you can until you see signs of fermentation, then stop. Try to keep the fermentation at 68F.
Some recommend on really big beers that use yeast that likes to floc to the bottom after sighns that the fermentation is about over, get your carboy or bucket and get the beer going in a swirling motion dont shake. Just rock it back and forth to help get your yeast back into suspension. With the california ale you should be good I would not worry much. Just keep it cool during primary ferment.

I just punched it quick and dirty into Beersmith. I assumed a 3gal, 60min boil.

Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.088 SG (1.075-1.095 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019 SG (1.012-1.020 SG)
Estimated Color: 11.6 SRM (8.0-15.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 43.0 IBU (60.0-110.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 33.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 9.04 % (7.50-10.00 %)

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 90.91 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.1 IBU
1.50 oz Ahtanum [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
0.50 oz Ahtanum [6.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

As you can see, your biterness should be much higher for an IIPA. Otherwise, it might be pretty dang sweet as it sits now. Maybe some more Magnum, or whatever else you have available early in the boil. As far as yeast, I'd make a starter with just one vial. 1.088 is not that high. Check out this page:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

It says 1/2 quart water to 1/2 cup DME. I like to make bigger starters a few days before hand, so I'd do at least double that. If your brewing on a Saturday, I'd make the yeast starter up on a Thursday. Also, I would just make sure you aerate a ton before pitching. If you shake to aerate, shake till your arms almost fall off. Be sure to add some yeast nutrient, pitch, and let it go. I don't do anything to mine as it ferments, and I've done some beers up in the 1.090's. Just make sure you have a blowoff tube because big beer and yeast starters make for some hard fermentations!! :D

For your yeast starter question, check out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...Yeast_Starters

I used WL001 for my IIPA. I made a 16oz starter three days before I brewed. Pitched at 3pm and by 12am my carboy was going nuts.

BTW - If you do not have any fermcap, I STRONGLY suggest using a blowoff tube right away. An OG of 1.088 is high enough and will produce a LOT of krausen.

Thanks for the info. I am doing a full 5 gallon boil. I also have 4oz of magnum hops. How much more and when should I add it to the boil?

That makes a good difference then. It puts you up to 73 IBU's for a 5gal boil. Thats withing specs, and will give you a .825 IBU/SG ratio. Some guys like it pretty close to 1, so it'll just be a bit sweet, but totally fine I'm imagining. I'm kinda a hop head, so I'd lean to adding a bit more in.

If you move your 60 min addition up to 2oz of Magnum, you'll bump up to 90.1 IBU's, and a IBU/SG ration of 1.018 (Assuming Alpha acida are close to what beersmith has). It's up to you. If you like it not so hoppy and a bit sweeter, just leave it, or if you enjoy the hops, go ahead and bump it up. I'm no pro, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

And you should check out Beersmith or Promash sometimes. Definately worth the cash, and they have a trial period if you wanna test them out. Pretty helpful for figuring out recipes, and extremely helpful when you make the switch to AG.

Latest posts

Back