Husband used regular white sugar instead of organic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnaleffew

Reaction score
How well does the scoby filter out the processed chemicals in regular sugar? Should we throw scoby out and get a new one?

Not much of the refining products (phosphoric acid and calcium hydroxide) are left at the end. These chemicals combine with the impurities in the raw sugar, float to the top, and are skimmed off. The remaining sugar solution is passed through a carbon filter before being dried an granulated. It's more than 99% sucrose.

I don't think it's worth worrying about.

If your organic sugar is white and granulated, then it's gone through a similar (if not the same) process and the "organic" part only refers to the growing conditions of the sugar cane.

In case you're still worried about the chemicals used to refine sugar, phosphoric acid is used in soft drinks such as Coke and Pepsi, while Calcium Hydroxide is also known as slaked lime and is used in all kinds of food products (including pickles, corn tortillas, hominy, grits, naan bread, papadam, etc).

I appreciate the feedback. I have chronic Lyme so I try to steer far from processed foods. I find that it's not more expensive because I'm not buying any junk or eating junk out in restaurants. Actually eating organic no processed foods cut my grocery bill in half. :) My question really was trying to ascertain if the Scoby filters out any chemicals in the regular sugar. I am new to this and going to make a tasty health elixir...Thanks again for the input.

Back