Finally!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
So I've got these two trees...
DSC_4815NEF.jpg

DSC_4813NEF.jpg

And this weekend I saw these on them.
DSC_4816NEF.jpg

DSC_4814NEF.jpg

Does anyone know what the trees are or why I'm so excited? Here's another photo to help ID the tree.
DSC_4817NEF.jpg

Haha, ok, it's time for the hints. This is going to make it very easy though.

1. It's a fruit tree native to the eastern US.

Pawpaw or persimmon.

Bingo! Two pawpaw trees from Peterson pawpaws. This will be their third year in my yard and they were two years old when I planted them. And they FINALLY have flower buds! These trees are sooo sloooow to grow. I'm really excited to be able to finally try a pawpaw this fall. I look for them at farmer's markets every fall but no one around here seems to have any. Supposedly they grow in the woods along streams and rivers, but I've never seen one in all the hiking I've done. Anyway, these are probably the two most prized (and until recently very hard to acquire) varieties, susquehana and shenandoah.

My next hint was going to be it's the largest fruit native to North America and that would have given it away.

WTF is a pawpaw?

It's a fruit native to the eastern US. It's actually the largest fruit native to North America. Its closest relatives are tropical fruits like the cherimoya and custard apple. The flesh is custardy and smooth, and is said to taste like a mix of mango, banana, vanilla custard, and caramel. I've never had one so that's only what I've read. This fall I'll let you know how they taste to me!

I can actually remember at least one thread a couple of years ago where a guy was going to use them in a beer. I don't think he ever followed up with results though.

That is cool! Almost as cool as several of the guesses here!

I'm really curious now to try a Paw Paw. We have a town called Paw Paw here in Mich... I wonder if I can find any there?

Back