Batch Sparging with Protein Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meyers.markg

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew some high adjunct/ protein grains. I am currently using a 10 gal igloo mash tun system. I grabbed an article from NorthenBrewer.com (http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/advanced-mashing.pdf) about how to do a protein rest with an infusion system (vs. HERMS). Anyways they suggest that one starts w/ a protein rest with 1 qt: 1 lbs of grain. Then they suggest to raise the temp for saccrifrication by adding about .5qt for each lbs of grain. Then you drain.

What I am concerned about is when I sparge (using the batch method) is that the Ph/ gravity will reach below/ above the desired levels because of the higher amount of initial water (more sugar being extracted earlier). Essentially I want avoid extracting harsh flavors. So I have several questions.

Which is more important level to be concerned about Ph or gravity? If it's a Ph level, can't I adjust using 5.2? Is it a gravity issue? If so is there anything I can do to adjust that (more grain, sugar in the sparge water?)???

Or am I being too anal and some of you guys have protein rested with an infusion system like mine with no problem? Or should Northern Brewer's ratios be readjusted?

You may not need to add that much water to get to your target saccharification rest temperature. Even if you do, a 1.5:1 ratio is fine and can even raise your efficiency, so you will not miss your larger sparge so much.

Do you use brewing software? That can help you figure out the volume and temperature of infusions for different rests.

TL

I' m cheap, I've been using tastybrew.com calculators. According to them I am looking at 1.53 qt:lbs ratio.

I have to admit that I'm quite the novice AG brewer. I was nervous that perhaps with more sugar being gone (and possibly enzyme too... frankly I don't know if enzyme activity is diminished/reduced after the first lautering?) , that I will greatly increase my chances of extracing tannins. I've always read warnings about about not allowing the sparge run off to go below (1.02 or a certain Ph). I didn't know if both factors were crucial in maintaining a safe runoff, or if one factor was crucial and one was just an indicator of the other. Sounds like you guys are pretty confident. I've been using 5.2 and will continue to do so.

You will not get below 1.010 OG on your first runnings if you are only at a 1:1.5 ratio unless you got some legendarily awful efficiency. In fact, I would expect thsoe runnings would still be significantly above my target pre-boil OG.

TL

Don't worry about the thin mash and tannin extraction. The opposite is actually the case. The more water you use in the mash (to some extend), the less sparge water you will use and the less tannins you will extract.
I regularily mash at 2 qt/lb and don't have a problem. I correct my mash pH to 5.3..5.5 and it doesn't go above 5.7 during the sparging.

Kai

Back