Buggy Beligum Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I was getting ready to do my mash this Sat and I look into the bag of grains for my Wit and upon closer examination I notice my grains are moving :mad:. Little bugs all over the place. Probably 100+ of them about 1/2 the size of thistle seed. Call the HBS and say HEY! I got buggers in my grain. He says, yea we've had a little trouble keeping the flaked wheat bug free :( . He tells me to just put the grains in the freezer for a while. But I figured why bother, they'd still be in there and I was all ready to mash so I just did my thing.

Anyone ever have this lovely problem? I'm sure we've had remnants of who knows what in our grain but this was quite a show. Taste I'd suspect (hope) won't be an issue but thought I'd toss this out to the crowd. The wife has already refused to partake in this batch.

BTW, this sucker took off like mad and had to put a blow off tube on it. maybe yeasties like the added protein ;)

Weavels have been in our consumption grains forever. They've never hurt anyone before but they can eat more than their share if left to feed. The HBS was right about storeing in the freezer, it will shut the little buggers down.

desertBrew said:
BTW, this sucker took off like mad and had to put a blow off tube on it. maybe yeasties like the added protein ;)
With any luck, they'll help you head retention. Hope they don't contain any tannins though; who knows that mashing the little buggers will do ;)

ScottT said:
Weavels have been in our consumption grains forever. They've never hurt anyone before but they can eat more than their share if left to feed. The HBS was right about storeing in the freezer, it will shut the little buggers down.

I think the 152 mash temp shut them down as well :)

orfy said:
Bug juice :drunk:
Actually, Buggy Belgium Wit!

Dude, they've been crapping in your grains!

Next time, try using honey that has nothing to do with insects whatsoever.

It's a new style. Soon, you'll see bugweiser and miller-moth genuine draft and pabst blue weavel popping up in liquor stores across the nation.

Fear No Weavel Wit...I like it.

Of course, I'd have a hard time choking down boiled bugs, but that's just me. To each his own. Maybe there's some flavor there.

The happy mug said:
Dude, they've been crapping in your grains!

Next time, try using honey that has nothing to do with insects whatsoever.

It's a new style. Soon, you'll see bugweiser and miller-moth genuine draft and pabst blue weavel popping up in liquor stores across the nation.

Yea, the fermentation does smell a little $hitty. It's either the belgium wit yeast or... :(

Most of the bugs & **** should have dropped out in the protein break. Any extras have probably been consumed by the yeast. I have gerbils and finches, which means constant problems with grain moths. I just freeze the makings, so they're dead before they hit the water. Can't stand the screaming otherwise. ;)

HBS dude said you might get a little extra protein haze but heck, it's a wheat beer. I'm not worried.

Actually I'm more concerned about the ferm smell but I've only done one belgium wit before and this was from 3m old yeast slurry (WLP400). I just can't recall if it smelled this funky last time or not. But it's been a radical ferment so I figure it'll be fine? Dunno, can you get a furious and tainted ferment? Somewhere on this site was my last tirade on this same recipe, but that was about a slow ferment. Think I'll not hit this recipe for 'bout 1 year so I stop panicking.

Time will tell. If the dogs drink it then its fine for me as well. :D

Yeah, me too!

Just got the AG going, my first two 50 lb. bags, one 6 row, and the other light wheat, had the creepy crawlies. Didn't bother me any about drinking em down, I have been down that road before.

Both HBS by me verified one another. Put the grains in the freezer, it will kill the bugs. It will not kill the larvae though. To kill everything you put dry ice in the bag and put the bag in a plastic bucket. CO2 will stay down (it is heavier) and the bugs and larvae will die. I left the lid cracked until ice was about gone, I had to put some in freezer bags, I was told to punch small holes in the baggies, so that the pressure wouldn't open the bag up.

Old thread, but thought someone might be able to use this tid bit.

Update 6-30-2010: Extra cornies work great! Fill them up with grain, shoot in the CO2....kills eggs, kills crawlies.

Back