Barley Wine Off Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessebymail

Reaction score
So last summer I brewed a Hefeweizen and my AC went out, it got in the 80s in my house and the beer ended up with a definite off flavor. Kind of fruity and yeasty. I just put a barley wine in my secondary, OG 1.108 FG 1.028 and it has the same off flavors as the Hefe. It has been a varied 65-73 degrees in my house. I'm thinking because of the high gravity and heavy fermentation it was too warm but my question is if the flavors will go away with time? It is only 10 days in and I will let it sit in secondary 2-3 weeks before bottling and hopefully in the bottles for > 6 months. The hefe was gone in 24 hours after kegging so I have no reference to base this on there. Would a cold secondary fermentation help the flavors fade? I have an empty keezer I could set to 60...

almost all off-flavors go away after several months. don't sweat it; bottle, put it away, and go there in a year or 2. it'll be fine

Thanks lumpher. I shouldn't have a problem letting them set I usually keg my beer. I recently found a case of American Ale in my closet that I experimented and put too much lemon in. After about a year the lemon has mellowed out a lot and is drinkable. I am kind of worried about my future beers though I figured the low 70's was a safe temp and I don't always have a year to let beer set.

Do a search for a swamp cooler and you should find something on it.

Basically put your fermentor in a larger vessel, I use a large plastic storage bin, and add ice to it twice a day. That will keep your temps down.

I freeze up old milk jugs and switch them out; once in the morning and again at night.

Back