need a yeast starter? And how to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
I just got all my supplys to make an Ale.

the recipe is :

4.5 lbs amber dme
1.5 oz cascade hops
.5 williamette hops
2 tsp. gypsum

liquid english ale yeast.

My question is do i need a starter for the yeast vile, and if so how do I do it? I'ver never done it before and info on the net is conflicting. I just want a simply and easy way to do it with some directions so I don't screw this up. thanks in advance.

With a simple recipe like that you really don't need one. I would just leave the vial out while you brew and when as long as it is room temp just shake and pour into your primary. But you answer your question about how to make a starter. Just think of it as making a very small batch of beer. To make 1 liter starter you would essentially make 1 liter of wort and then pitch your yeast in that about a day before you brew your beer. Then on brew day you would dump the starter in your full batch. The yeast will have had time to acclimatise to the environment you are asking them to work in, and will have multiplied so there will be more yeast doing the job.

Back