Show me how you insulate your mash vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I just took delivery on a new 15 gallon boilermaker, and have made 2 grain bags for 5 gallon batches. I will eventually need to fabricate some form of insulation to maintain mash temps brewing outdoors, especially when fall rolls around. I'd like to see any pictures other members would care to post of their mash tun insulation, whether brew pot or cooler mash tun.

I don't have any pictures but I just that Reflextive bubble insulation from Lowes'. I wrapped it around the kettle twice, cut, and taped it together. It slides over the kettle for easy on/off. It's not perfect but definetly helps.

The best thing you can do to help keep your temps is to increase your batch size. The increase in surface area pales in comparison to increase in volume. Thus, you have a lot more heat with less surface area.. leading to much better heat retention.

I mashed with 16 gallons in a shed with the ambient temperature of 5 F. Although not ideal, the temp dropoff wasn't too bad (maybe 3 F difference)

OK, I'm posting this just because I think its funny - obviously this is a small batch (4 gallon brew pot), so I put an old down vest on it. Keeps temp pretty well, actually.

IMG_2422.jpg

I don't have any pictures but I just that Reflextive bubble insulation from Lowes'. I wrapped it around the kettle twice, cut, and taped it together. It slides over the kettle for easy on/off. It's not perfect but definetly helps.

Tried to take a pic of this around my mash tun, but its too dark outside. +2 to this.

I mash BIAB in my kettle and lose 1 degree in the course of an hour.

No insulation required if you have a heavy tight fitting lid, and a thick mm, quality steel/aluminum combo kettle. I happen to be a chef with excellent cookware so I lucked out.

Stainless is actually a pretty bad conductor. I run a HERMS so insulation is not an issue but I have been suprised how well my keg HLT maintains temps with no insulation. Maybe a test run first?

this is black walnut from an old bookshelf I found on the side of the road. in between the keg and wood is hot water heater insulation. works great.

IMG_00782.JPG

2 banjo bg14 burners. and thanks, its been a fun project. next goal is to get the digital temp control done. gas solenoid valves, temp probes, thermowells, love controllers, all that stuff that i currently know NOTHING about...

I use the ultra flexible foam rubber in 3/4 inch size (probably 1/2-3/4 is good) with a reflictix shell so I can take it off and put it back on easily.

I used some spray adhesive to stick reflectix to the foam rubber and then used velcro to attach it back to itself. So basically there is a reflectix exterior with foam rubber insulation adhered to it. I cut teh reflectix long and put the velcro on the far edge to hold it together.

Easy on and off for cleaning. Good to 220F

Insulation

3/4'' foam rubber + 3M contact adhesive 80 + reflectix + Velcro

cidahMastah - do you think the rubber with reflectix is far better at insulation then a couple raps of reflectix alone?

I have not gone all grain yet, but have been making plans and gathering equipment. One of these turned upside down and placed over your pot should insulate it pretty well. Anyone use one of these?

0084487500035_A

CidahMastah said:
I use the ultra flexible foam rubber in 3/4 inch size (probably 1/2-3/4 is good) with a reflictix shell so I can take it off and put it back on easily.

I used some spray adhesive to stick reflectix to the foam rubber and then used velcro to attach it back to itself. So basically there is a reflectix exterior with foam rubber insulation adhered to it. I cut teh reflectix long and put the velcro on the far edge to hold it together.

Insulation

Saved.

CidahMastah said:

Insulation

Plagerized.

I mash BIAB in my kettle and lose 1 degree in the course of an hour.

No insulation required if you have a heavy tight fitting lid, and a thick mm, quality steel/aluminum combo kettle. I happen to be a chef with excellent cookware so I lucked out.

Well said I too am a chef and my name is Bob:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

I just went to home depot and bought a roll of water heater insulation. Just cut it to fit and attach it together with duct tape. That way it will just slide off and on over your pot. Works great at holding temperature. For colder weather you can add multiple layers

I took my wife's yoga mat and cut it to fit my kettle. I, then, covered it with foil tape. Worked well for single infusion. Lost about 1--2 degrees in an hour mash. When I went direct fired rims, it was easy to remove, but I left the lid insulated.

Brew%2520Stand%25203.0%2520Final%2520Final.jpg

Latest posts

Back