dump or salvage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterrunner

Reaction score
This is my first time. I thought fermenting cider would be easy, but i'm confounded! I poured an ENTIRE packet of champaign yeast into a gallon jug of cider. Bubbling started the next day and ended the following pretty much, but with a constant slow release of gas for days after. I checked the hydrometer...measured 1.01 or 5%. not sure if that was accurate. tasted it and completely yeasty. i didn't know what to do next, so i put it in the fridge. there the batch sits. yeast and other unfiltrates rest on the bottom of the jug. Did I ruin it by putting it in the fridge? Should I syphon off the apparent good stuff? Should I start over?

Just take it out of the fridge, and give it a bit of a swirl once it's back at room temperature, to get the yeast working again. Then just let it mature for a while...

thanks! i appreciate the quick reply! took it out, gave it a whirl. i read other posts about having to dump the first batch...but hopefully this one will turn out just fine! by the (dot dot dot) after your "then just let it mature for a while" i'm guessing there is no specific time frame. the book I bought indicated this thing could wind up taking less than a week to finish fermenting and less than two weeks to finish carbonation in the bottles. but from reading the posts, it seems like there is MUCH more of an art to making hard cider. i'm excited to be starting out on this adventure. thanks again!

Give it time... Lots of time. I let my cider sit three months on primary, then rack to clean carboy, and give it another 2-3 Months.

Two months works for me, but two months is a long time to wait for only one gallon. I woulld get another four gallons and use your little one gallon batch as a starter.

Back