Harvesting Hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthRiverS

Reaction score
Hop Growers,

Since my hops are now fully loaded, my question is how to harvest them when they are ripe...... 1. Do I cut the whole plant at the ground and remove all the hop cones? Or 2. Do I get a ladder and pick the "ripe" individual cones and pick the others when they ripen up? I guess it's single harvest vs. multiple harvest.

Thanks

NRS

Either works just fine and each has it's own advantages. Last year was my first harvest and I got out the ladder and picked one by one. This year I have about fifteen-times as many so I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I would say that if they are all about the same "readyness" chop the whole plant down, set it on a table, grab a beer and a comfortable chair and go.

I prefer to pick mine one by one, because I think letting the plant die on it's own has some benefits. As Gridlocked said...either is fine though.

Back