Cooling the Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of ale last night (This is my first attempt at home brewing) :).
It took me a while to cool the wort as I didn't have much ice exept what was in my ice maker in the frig. I think it took at least 30 to 45 minutes to cool it down.
I was wondering if this will affect the end product? It seems to be ferminting so I gues something is happening.
Thanks for any info on this.

nah, you'll be fine. quicker cooling is best, but you can get by just fine if you cool in 30-45 mins.

beerguy Do yourself a favor. Build an immersion chiller. I wish I would have done it sooner. Thought I wouldn't need it, but wow what a great addition!!!!

+1 for the wort chiller. Bigger is better. When I went from 3/8" copper to 1/2" copper, my cooling time was cut in half.

This is why I use a strainer bag for my hops. I can pull all the hops out when I turn off the heat and then it doesn't matter how long it takes to chill the wort.

You will be fine. If you look in the General Technique forum you will find a whole thread on No-Chill brewing. Since I don't have any chiller as of yet I have been using this method and still making great beer. As long as you took necessary sanitation procedures you will be fine.

Thanks for all the quick answers to my post. I have wanted to try brewing beer for a long time and hope I have good luck with my first batch.
Took a look at the air lock and saw lots of bubbles so I guess the yeast is having a party. Can't wait to try if but I know I ahve to be patient. Hope to have a brew around New years.

Is it a good or bad idea (or does it matter) to put the cover on the brew pot when cooling the wort. I know it needs to be cooled fast to prevent problems and I thought leaving it uncovered might allow bacteria to get in the wort.

hops is part of the problem but infection is a bigger problem...most will try to chill as quickly as possible. 30 min is not a big deal but this is when the wort is vulnerable...I am +1 on immersion chiller. get a 20 foot copper coil from the depot and attach some tubing and wala:ban: immersion chiller! I attached a gasket that a hooked to the sink but the total was under 25 bucks...people think you need more but I can chill 6 gal. of wort to 70 degrees F in 5 min....good enough for me :mug: good luck...

I think the concerned about uncovered isn't bacteria so much as random gunk, or maybe you sneeze.

Back