Moving kegs = cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl_g

Reaction score
I am sure it has been covered, but my searches did not bring much up.
I like clear beer and every time I bring a keg up to my porch to share with friends the beer gets stirred up and it is all cloudy. How do people avoid this? Filtering?

I normally use a secondary/gelatin so the beer going into the keg is pretty darn clear. All of the kegs have a small amount of sediment in the bottom when they are kicked. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

I pull the first few pints to get it clear then I transfer to another keg if I intend to move it around. You need to make a tubing that has two liquid out connectors hook up from the full one to the empty then just transfer . I transfer by releasing all the pressure in the full keg hook up the second CO2 purged keg and hit the first with very low PSI . As the second fills it raises the pressure and stop flowing just release the pressure as it goes. Works like a beer gun.

That's exactly what I do. I wait until the keg is providing nice clear beer, usually about a week or so until I'm sure everything has fallen out at those fridge temps, and then "jump" it into a new keg without moving the old keg to stir everything up.

As Springer said, you just use two black QDs (for ball-lock kegs) with a foot or two of beerline. Use just enough pressure to move the beer, pulling the pressure relief valve on the "new" keg when the flow slows.

I like clear beer and every time I bring a keg up to my porch to share with friends the beer gets stirred up and it is all cloudy. How do people avoid this?

I make my friends walk to the kegerator for their free beer. :) What about putting a locked kegerator on the porch?

Interesting thread; I had not considered that folks were racking from keg to get.

I make my friends walk to the kegerator for their free beer. :) What about putting a locked kegerator on the porch?

Interesting thread; I had not considered that folks were racking from keg to get.
The Home Owners Association and neighbors just love furniture and appliances on your porch!!!

But make them walk anyway...;)

Back