Couple questions on kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baj22

Reaction score
I am a new member of the forums here and I am also new to kegging. I ordered the two keg dual body reg kit from keg connection: 2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, DUAL BODY REG, Standard Kit a couple weeks ago and I am starting to think there might be a leak in the regulator. First off, the regulator that measures tank pressure has never registered anything but 0. I assume if I open the tank all the way, it should show something else. What is a normal value? And it should show pressure even if the check valves are closed, right?

Second, I had pressurized the kegs and then wound up closing the check valves. Both gauges continued to read a certain amount of pressure, but it seems everyday I check, the pressure is half of what it was the day before. Is this a legitimate test? Is there a simple home fix, or do I need to ask keg connection to send a new regulator assembly?

I am excited about kegging, I just have no idea what I'm doing.

Is your keg inside your fridge? Mine always reads in the red because of the cole temperature and this is common. It sounds like you have a leak. Dissasemble and put teflon tape on all threaded connections. Test for leaks with a soapy water solution.

make sure you have a washer where the reg attaches to the cyl valve.

also, is the beer already carbed. you could be losing pressure because your beer is absorbing it

I haven't put anything in a fridge yet because I'm sterilizing everything and trying to familiarize myself with the setup. I don't have it connected to any beer yet. And in the case of the decreasing pressure, the check valves are actually turned off, so I would assume it should just sit there and maintain it's pressure. Is that correct?

The gauge that measures the pressure in the take is pretty much for show only. The majority of the compressed CO2 in the take is an a semi liquid state, it turns to gas when the pressure in the take reaches somewhere between 800 and 1000 psi. the only real way to know how much "pressure" is left in the tank is to weigh it. Take the total weight and subtract the number that is printed on the rim of the tank (the weight includes the value too.) This is why when you go to the LBS you get a 5 pound tank and not a 2000 psi tank.

You can make up a soap solution with dish detergent and some water to see if there is a leak. In addition to the washer that goes in the Cylinder Valve Nut you can add some Teflon tape to the end of the tank thread. Also, make sure you have the pressure washer in the quick disconnects if they aren't the barbed type.

If you don't have any kegs hooked up to your gas system then you should have zero lose.

The gauge that measures the pressure in the take is pretty much for show only. The majority of the compressed CO2 in the take is an a semi liquid state, it turns to gas when the pressure in the take reaches somewhere between 800 and 1000 psi. the only real way to know how much "pressure" is left in the tank is to weigh it. Take the total weight and subtract the number that is printed on the rim of the tank (the weight includes the value too.) This is why when you go to the LBS you get a 5 pound tank and not a 2000 psi tank.

You can make up a soap solution with dish detergent and some water to see if there is a leak. In addition to the washer that goes in the Cylinder Valve Nut you can add some Teflon tape to the end of the tank thread. Also, make sure you have the pressure washer in the quick disconnects if they aren't the barbed type.

If you don't have any kegs hooked up to your gas system then you should have zero lose.

Thanks, I had heard that the gauge was pretty worthless but didn't understand why. The liquid explanation makes a lot of sense. I will definitely check for a leak with some soap and I'll have to run to the store for some teflon tape. Thanks a bunch.

Back