Oud Bruin—WLP550 and/or Roselare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceofnone

Reaction score
I bought the Austin Homebrew kit for Flanders Brown Ale, with the recommended White Labs yeast WLP550 (Belgian Ale). I also have a Roselare blend pack.

My plan thus far has been to primary for two weeks with the WLP550 and then pitch the Roselare in secondary.

Would it be a better idea to just pitch Roselare in primary? If so, should I rack off the yeast after 2-4 weeks? Or should I pitch WLP550 and Roselare in primary?

I've never used a bacteria before—this is kind of a test run. Any advice is much appreciated. Many thanks.

Roeselare already has a Belgian sacch strain in the mix, so you'd just be wasting yeast if you used the WLP550.

As for racking off the cake; that is entirely up to you. Some people do it and some don't.

I've never bothered to rack off the cake. 3 batches later and none have had any bad flavors. I don't think it matters any, plus it will keep your bugs all together for re-use as you see fit.

Just pitch the Roeselare. It should be slow to start. The mix only has a low population of sacc yeast to slow its start and allow the Lacto to grow before the sacc starts creating alcohol. It could take a couple of days to show signs of fermentation.

Keep hops low (less than 10 IBUs).

Roeselare already has a Belgian sacch strain in the mix, so you'd just be wasting yeast if you used the WLP550.

This isn't necessarily true. If you pitch the WLP550 before you pitch the WY3763, then you'll get a much more mellow sourness. If you pitch only WY3763, then you'll get a more pronounced sourness.

It's up to the brewer, really.

Latest posts

Back