Late Extract Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmadway

Reaction score
I've been reading quite a bit about the advantages of a late extract addition. Does it make any difference if I do it at flame out or 10 minutes prior? Seems like adding at the flame out would be easier because you don't have to bring it all back up to a boil. Am I right?

You probably want to do it with 10 minutes left to sterilize anything nasty that may be living in the extract.

It boils for long enough to kill any bacteria, but is short enough to not produce a lot of carmelization.

That's the way I do it. For example,I use a cooper's can as a base (pre hopped with bittering only),with 3lbs of plain DME. I use half the DME in the boil for hop additions. Then stir in the remaining DME at flame out,& all the cooper's can after that. Put a lid on it & let it steep for 10-15 minutes to sanitize the late addition. Plenty of residual heat for that. Then into the sink,fill to the top with ice,& top that off with cold water.
Chills down in 20 minutes. Little or no chill haze that way. Then proceed as normal.

Flame out is fine- many brewers don't boil their late extract additions. It's worth mentioning that if you're doing full boils, though, you should be adding all of your extract at the beginning. That said, if you're not worried about boilovers, boiling your extract for 10 minutes isn't going to hurt anything.

Really? I feel like this is unsanitary advice. What am I missing here? I may have to change my additions.

Not boiling your extract additions. I always learned you needed at least 5 minutes to disinfect anything unsanitary that could be in the extract.

The wort is hot enough to sanitize and the yeast will overpower anything left, besides not much can live in an 80% sugar solution

Pasteurization happens at I think 160-180. So as mentioned, adding at flameout and waiting a few minutes before starting the cooling process should be all that is needed.

Your absolutely right! That's what I've been doing,it works just fine. Especially considering pre-hopped extract malts.You can't boil them without ruining them.

Back