Is it cheaper to make your own wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm, do you mean malt extract? and in that case, do you mean all-grain (AG) brewing so like avoiding using malt extract?

I was not aware that wort could be purchased.

LOL! Actually, funny that he mentioned it... there is actually companies out there that sell 5 gallons of WORT, sealed and delivered, and all you do is add yeast. Its actually damn good beer. I prefer to make my own, but its good.

Hi sorry i mean the stuff that you buy in cans and just add yeast and sugar ?

I guess the answer is "it depends". Grain is pretty cheap, and I spent about $10-$15 (US) per 5 gallon batch. But I buy in bulk, both hops and malt, and have my own mill and tons of equipment. I probably have $1000 in equipment. So, is it cheaper? Probably per batch. But if you factor in the equipment, probably not.

I can tell you that the beer made at my house from fresh ingredients is remarkably good, though! I only did one prehopped canned kit with added sugar and thought it was quite foul. I gave it to my best friend, though, and she eventually drank all 6 gallons.

I was not aware that wort could be purchased.

I just found this out about 2 weeks ago. I was suprised a little my self. I forget who made it, but it was unhopped wort. I want to say the kit was about 50.00 and i don't know if the hops came with it. It was in a box which was in a heavy bag. This was primarily what the homebrew store owner was selling off the shelf. No extract kits. He would build the kits to your recipes.
Not my idea of brewing anyway you look at it but to each there own.

I guess the answer is "it depends". Grain is pretty cheap, and I spent about $10-$15 (US) per 5 gallon batch. But I buy in bulk, both hops and malt, and have my own mill and tons of equipment. I probably have $1000 in equipment. So, is it cheaper? Probably per batch. But if you factor in the equipment, probably not.

I can tell you that the beer made at my house from fresh ingredients is remarkably good, though! I only did one prehopped canned kit with added sugar and thought it was quite foul. I gave it to my best friend, though, and she eventually drank all 6 gallons.

How much u got to buy for it to be cheaper ??

i would suggest doing some ( a lot ) of reading before you attempt to 'make your own wort'

i'm just basing that on your first couple of posts.

I call BS on this one :) she's got way more than 1K in gear, unless your name is bob then it's closer to $800

Exhibit A

Sorry I couldn't control myself :eek:

Making your own wort is homebrewing with ingrediants from scratch. The answer is it is probably not much cheaper but the flavor is much much better, if you have a good recipe.

Forrest

Back