Preparing to build brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockwes

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build my brew stand. I am going off the brutus design but am tweaking it to meet my needs. I am currently brewing with keggles but hope to upgrade someday, so i am building in some room for growth.

I have some 1.5x1.5x.120 steel tubing laying around so i was hoping that this would be beefy enough material to use.

I also have a set of very heavy duty casters that i am going to use for wheels.

I am planning on plumbing in propane burners and h2o as well as wiring in both pumps so i have switches and one plug.

Here is a rough drawing of what i am going for. Given what i have said are there any big changes you guys see that i should make? Is the 1.5x1.5 tubing going to be strong enough?

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g324/stockwes/plan1.jpg

Thanks for the help
Steve

I just built a brutus and if I had to do it over I would use 1.5". The 2" just makes a very heavy stand and is overkill in my opinion.

As long as you brace properly, 1/16" x 1" square is more than enough.

1.5" properly braced is enough to park a truck on. - You'll be fine.

Also - Triangles are your friend on the front elevation. Triangles = Strong.

As long as you brace properly, 1/16" x 1" square is more than enough.

1.5" properly braced is enough to park a truck on. - You'll be fine.

Also - Triangles are your friend on the front elevation. Triangles = Strong.

+1 Most of the steel rigs I see are way over-designed and so are most of the wooden versions. Yes, trianglular configurations are inherently very strong. Gussets at the connections should be all the bracing you will need if done properly.

I've got 8" space horizontally between my keggles. If I were to redo it I would make distance a lot less to save storage space. I would think 4-5" would be fine.

Back