differences in IBU's calculations...whats going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychogenius

Reaction score
I'm not quite where this thread should go, so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

i've noticed a huge difference in the calculations from different websites and softwares in IBU calculations.

heres my recipe

3 lbs Light DME
3 lbs Wheat DME
1 lb Flacked Wheat

1 oz cascade 60min 5.1 AAU
1 oz amarillo 15min 8.0 AAU
1 oz amarillo 5min 8.0 AAU

wy'east 1272 American Ale 2

OG 1.054
FG 1.013

from beercalculus.com i should have 32.0 IBU's
from tastybrew.com bitterness calculator i should have 26.1 IBU's
from tastybrew.com whole recipe calculator i should have 44.5 IBU's
doing it by hand with the hops utilization chart in The Complete Joy of Home Brewing i get 32 IBU's

how can there be this much variation between them all, especially tastybrew.com, i mean, why wouldn't they use the same math in there two calculators, there should only be one right answer right?

the main reason i am worried is because i took a small taste of the wort after it had cooled and it was horrifically bitter.

is this gunna be a nasty batch?

And according to Promash, it's 17.2 IBU's

I wouldn't worry about the bitterness immediately after cooling. That'll go away over the next few weeks.

I would have used "wonderfully" rather than "horrifically" when describing the taste. :D

-a.

The calculations vary because they all use approximations to the real utilization curves. Some of the software out there doesn't 'kick in' until 10 minutes, but a fair amount of bittering occurs in that interval. The impact of SG is non-linear and software typically use linear adjustments. Most of them do not adjust for saturation, any IBU number over 90 is suspect for that reason.

Very few people can detect a bittering difference of less than 10 IBU, so these approximations don't matter.

Latest posts

Back