Dishwashing liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I was a bit tipsy when making my extract wheat beer yesterday and don't ask how, but I think I MIGHT have gotten a very small amount of dishwashing liquid into the fermenter (1/15 of a teaspoon at the very most), so what's the worst case scenario? I always sanitize with no rinse sanitizer BTW...

Not worth worrying over. I'm sure the beer will be fine. relax don't worry and try not to have too many home brews while brewing. I found it makes complicated tasks immensely difficult.

No biggie. That's a pretty small amount. Maybe you'll find it adds a certain kick you've been looking for :p

I usually drink quite a few beers on brewday, I mean what better excuse to let loose during an otherwise perfectly normal day? I chalk it up to research :p Your beer is gonna be fine.

Might kill your head retention? I've heard that dishwashing soaps used on brewing equipment can do that. But probably not that tiny bit you got in there, and even if it did have that effect, it's not an end-of-the-beer scenario. It'll be fine.

A little detergent goes a long way, even a drop of it would be enough to totally kill the head. You'll find out if it's enough to taste with the first swig.

Tom

Hard to say with that small an amount, could be OK.

If you get enough soap in there though the result is the same as if you piss off the wife or girlfriend......

No head :)

I should have added that I got the dishwashing liquid into the fermenter after I added the malt extract and dextrose.

Back