The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all are making me jealous. This is my first attempt at a pizza with my own dough from scratch. I needed to cook it a little longer but it was still delicious!

pizza1.jpg

pizza2.jpg

Those looks beautiful! Whats your dough recipe?

For 4 pies:

32 oz flour (75% caputo, 25% bread flour)
63% water
2.8% sea salt
1.67% sugar
0.3% Instant Dry Yeast

Pre-knead: warm water (90-100F) and water into two batches: mix yeast in one and salt in the other

Post-knead: Cold ferment 48 hours, rise at room temp 2 hours

I preheat the steel at my highest setting (550F) for an hour (top rack) and then switch to high broil while I'm shaping the dough. This gets a neapolitan style, NY style hybrid in 2-3 minutes: chewy and crunchy crust and floppy in the middle.

For NY style, I still switch to broil when shaping the dough but flip it back to 550F bake after about 30 seconds in. Bake for about 3 minutes, then broil for the last minute for a 4:30 total bake time.

Most people say avoid caputo flour without the intense heat a wood fire oven gives you, so a high gluten bread flour may be preferable. Me personally, I was gifted a 25 lb bag of caputo, so I've experimented with different ratios of bread and caputo mixes. I personally keep coming back to this ratio. I just love the chew and puffiness of the caputo flour with a little better flavor and browning from the bread flour and sugar.

I've had my oven sensor freak out and turn the thing off everytime I switch from 525*f oven temp to high broil. :eek:

It stinks because I like the results...

2nd day of dough (two night cold rise). Shiitake and fresh mozzarella.

Dough was better tonight than last night I think. Definitely using this recipe again. Wife nixed the idea of a stone (for now at least). :(
View attachment 262321

Is there a particular reason she's not on board with a stone? If she's not convinced it's worth it and likes pizza, show her this: http://imgur.com/HeKXm1d

I've had my oven sensor freak out and turn the thing off everytime I switch from 525*f oven temp to high broil. :eek:

It stinks because I like the results...

Shoot, that's disappointing. Mine shuts off only after about 10 minutes on broil, hence why I only switch as I'm shaping the dough. I flip it back to 550 between bakes to keep the sucker going.

Is there a particular reason she's not on board with a stone? If she's not convinced it's worth it and likes pizza, show her this: http://imgur.com/HeKXm1d

Thanks, sent! ;)

I think it's just a matter of not wanting more 'stuff'. And I don't blame her. We don't make pizza that often really, but it might change now that they're getting better.

Thanks, sent! ;)

I think it's just a matter of not wanting more 'stuff'. And I don't blame her. We don't make pizza that often really, but it might change now that they're getting better.

Do you have a set of China maybe you registered for as wedding presents? If so, how often does that get used and how much space does it occupy? I'd bet a pizza stone/steel would see more use than the China. I totally understand the more stuff approach, but it's not like you are wanting a wood fired pizza oven or something crazy, it's just an indestructible piece of metal that can sit alongside your cutting boards.

TD

Me and the better half have been talking about making our own pies, many thanks to all for the trove of kick ass info on this thread!

Thanks, sent! ;)

For what it's worth I didn't think I would ever use one regularly either, but we make pizza every few weeks now. Pizza is versatile enough too...standard sauce, mozz and pepperoni tastes nothing like pesto with jack cheese and sausage.

Plus you would have a good excuse to get into bread baking :ban:

Made this today. Dough was made from flour, water, yeast, and salt. Used giant eagle pizza sauce, mozz. cheese, italian seasoning and some pepperoni. Brushed the crust with some homemade garlic butter. Paired with some local beer & wine. So... good.

pizzadoeeee.jpg

Oh my... this just might become my new favourite thread here!

:D

Just for S&Gs, here's a link to my imgur post about the last pizzas I made that I chronicled.

http://imgur.com/gallery/HfOiM

I use a high-hydration dough that is no-knead - all gluten is formed in a 3-5 day conditioning session in the fridge. If anyone wants that recipe, LMK!

Every week pizza X2. I'm n officially obsessed with two things. Home brewing, and pizza.

So this week we've had BBQ chicken pizza, real pepperoni pizza, spicy pork sausage and arugula pizza, and Quatro formagio...

Average well in a house hold with 5 teenagers.

20150429_201030.jpg

20150429_200027.jpg

So last week, I proofed my dough in the fridge instead of room temp. Dough still doubled, but was significantly better. More dense, but still chewy. It was still pliable and easy to work with. I know this isnt new, but I will use this technique from now on in the future.

I don't "do" quick-rise dough. All goes into the fridge for at least 3 days. You get better texture and superior flavour out of your dough that way.

My dough isn't kneaded at all, every bit of gluten is formed using time. A high-hydration dough is best for this, but it will work for any dough recipe.

:)

I don't "do" quick-rise dough. All goes into the fridge for at least 3 days. You get better texture and superior flavour out of your dough that way.

My dough isn't kneaded at all, every bit of gluten is formed using time. A high-hydration dough is best for this, but it will work for any dough recipe.

Have you offered your dough recipe in this thread? I'm trying to get a little more tender crust w/o being greasy. I have a decent go to but trying to improve on it.

I have not, not publicly. I have given out in a few PMs though. Might be a "wall of text". Hmm...

OK, I will C&P from the last PM I sent out:

While I'm not picky about the flour—either bread flour or all-purpose is fine—what does concern me is how the dough is handled. Treat it gently so the dough holds its character, its texture. When you get around to shaping the disk for a pie, go easy as you stretch it to allow it to retain a bit of bumpiness (I think of it as blistering), so not all of the gas is smashed out of the fermented dough.

Makes three 12-to-14-inch pies (depending on how thin you like it.)

22 1/2 ounces (about 4 1/2 cups) bread flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
.35 ounces kosher salt (about 3 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons instant yeast
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
15 ounces lukewarm water
Pizza Sauce
1 pound grated full-fat dry mozzarella cheese (about 4 cups)

Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in bowl of food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times until incorporated. Add olive oil and water. Run food processor until mixture forms ball that rides around the bowl above the blade, about 15 seconds. Continue processing 15 seconds longer.

Transfer dough ball to lightly floured surface and knead once or twice (OK, so it isn't ABSOLUTELY no-knead, but you get the drift) by hand until smooth ball is formed. It should pass the "windowpane" test. Divide dough into three even parts and place each in a covered quart-sized deli container or in a zipper-lock freezer bag. Place in refrigerator and allow to rise at least three days, and up to 5.

At least two hours before baking, remove dough from refrigerator and shape into balls by gathering dough towards bottom and pinching shut. Flour well and place each one in a separate medium mixing bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise at warm room temperature until roughly doubled in volume.

1 hour before baking, adjust oven rack with pizza stone to middle position and preheat oven to 500°F. If you don't have a pizza stone, no worries, but the pizza won't turn out as nice. (TBH, I don't have one, just some nice, seasoned pizza pans.) Turn single dough ball out onto lightly flour surface. Gently press out dough into rough 8-inch circle, leaving outer 1-inch higher than the rest. Gently stretch dough by draping over knuckles into a 12 to 14-inch circle about 1/4-inch thick, or stretch it in the pan, it just takes a little longer this way. Transfer to pizza peel if using a pizza stone.

Spread approximately 2/3 cup of sauce evenly over surface of crust, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch border along edge. Evenly spread 1/3 of cheese over sauce. Slide pizza onto baking stone and bake until cheese is melted with some browned spots and crust is golden brown and puffed, 12 to 15 minutes total. If using a pan, it may take a little longer - use the first pizza as a test. You may also have to adjust your rack, depending on if the bottom or cheese browns too fast. Transfer to cutting board, slice, and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining two dough balls, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese.

If going with additional toppings, add now (obviously).

Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing. That's 66% hydration. Mine is 75%, so my dough is probably stickier. I do it in the good processor as well.

But I usually make it the day I want to use bit, so it rises at room temp for up to 4 hours or in the fridge for 4-6 and on the counter for a couple.

Do you think the 3 day ferment changes the tenderness? I know it can change the flavor. I'll have to give it a try.

Personally, I think it does as much for the tenderness as it does the flavour. After three days in the fridge, the dough is no longer elastic and more towards plastic. That's why I say at the top to not treat the dough rough at all.

And as I mentioned before, you can pretty much do the same refrigerator-rise with any dough. Try your own recipe with no kneading & a 3-5 day refrigerator-rise and see what the differences are. That way, you have a known sample to compare against.

I was in the grocery today to pick up a few things and saw some pre made Pizza Dough in the Bakery section of the store so thought I'd give it a try. Not exactly my kind of Pizza but it wasn't bad at all.

So...I started a chimney of KBB and put it in the charcoal baskets, but decided to grill the tomatoes and onions for a sauce.

015_zps6cu0hqpp.jpg

016_zps8xfl7ixw.jpg

Gave the veggies a spin and strained the juice

017_zpshev9rjib.jpg

018_zpsxfoyjipc.jpg

I started putting the cheese on but decided I should take a photo first then put the cheese on

019_zpsawfh3ley.jpg

020_zps2lz8hmm6.jpg

Nice oven spring on this one

021_zpssl6kmayj.jpg

Walla:

022_zpsowox9nuj.jpg

Cheers!

Bama - pizzas look awesome! Where did you find the weber pizza oven? Is that an attachment for a standard kettle grill?

US Amazon has them - I looked up "weber pizza oven lid" and found a couple different ones. There is also another one called PizzaQue that sells for $99 including shipping, not from Amazon though, here's a link to it:

http://www.pizzacraft.com/pizzaque-kettle-grill-pizza-kit.html?gclid=CPuN1I3T2MUCFYZffgodsScAcg

Pretty cool! Makes me wish I had a kettle grill....

Note THAT one though. I really like the one brewbama has. I don't want to pay the shipping though. I've been on the fence for a while. I'll probably get it for my birthday this summer.

Latest posts

Back