vinyl taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
My latest batch of ipa has a sort of soapy vinyl taste too it. It seems to be dissipating some as it sits in the keg. My initial thought is chlorophenols as I did go against my own better judgement and used bleach to clean my hop bag. However, I rinsed the living bejesus out of it and Starsaned everything else so I would be surprised if any chlorine made its way into the beer. I filter my water so no worries there and did not use any new vinyl hoses.

So, my thought is maybe the yeast (low flocculating strain Wyeast 1028) has an off flavor and it is slowly going away as it settles out or it is a character from the hops (first time using homegrown centennial) as I know sometimes people note a soapy hop taste. So, if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate them. In the meantime I will keep sampling to see if it keeps getting better, maybe hit it with gelatin to clear out the remaining yeast.

Draw about 2oz from the tap and throw away. Pour a glass. Some of my beer lines gives off the nastiest plastic taste. Yes, I bought beer line from a reputable company. My one keggerator has another brand and no taste. My other, I have to waste the few ounces of beer in the lines to get drinkable beer. Alot on here have that problem. Hopefully this is all you have to do.

My hoppy beers tasted like soap until I found out my water profile and added gypsum to make it more conducive to bitter beers

Draw about 2oz from the tap and throw away. Pour a glass. Some of my beer lines gives off the nastiest plastic taste. Yes, I bought beer line from a reputable company. My one keggerator has another brand and no taste. My other, I have to waste the few ounces of beer in the lines to get drinkable beer. Alot on here have that problem. Hopefully this is all you have to do.

Unfortunately, this has never been an issue with these beer lines. All other beers taste fine through them.

My hoppy beers tasted like soap until I found out my water profile and added gypsum to make it more conducive to bitter beers

Per EZ Water I ended up adding 15 grams of gypsum, 12 gr CaCl, and 2 grams NaCl all to the mash (10 gallon batch using the mineral devoid Western Washington water). I also acidified my sparge water with lactic acid down to around 5.5. Final pH in the kettle at beginning of boil was right on 5.2.

Latest posts

Back