First time kegging, question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
I'm brewing my second batch right now, a double IPA extract kit, and for the first time I will be kegging. I'm thinking of having the beer sit in the keg for a short period to act as a secondary since I don't have a carboy or anything else. Tomorrow is my scheduled date to keg and I'm wondering if I need to have the CO2 line connected and pressurized while it is conditioning? It seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to let the keg chill overnight and then carbonate by lightly shaking at about 30 psi before turning the regulator down to 10-12 psi. Would this be a wise move? Please pardon my noobness.

From what I know of kegging....

You dont have to keep the co2 connected while you condition, but you should purge the keg of air before you transfer the beer to it, then just close up the pin lock and let it be for, however long you want before you forcecarb and consume.

Rack the beer to keg, hit with 20 psi and purge air a few times. This is just to seal the keg and remove any oxygen. Then you can remove the CO2 until you're ready to start carbing. I wouldn't go the burst method for your first keg. There are too many stories of people doing it to "save time", but then fighting carb level for much longer than if they would have just use the set it and forget it method.
Not saying people haven't found the process to make burst carbing work for them, but for your first time I would save an extra headache or two.
Also, after you get it all sealed, Put some starsan solution into a spray bottle and spray both your posts, poppet seals and lid seal to check for leaks.

Rack the beer to keg, hit with 20 psi and purge air a few times. This is just to seal the keg and remove any oxygen. Then you can remove the CO2 until you're ready to start carbing. I wouldn't go the burst method for your first keg. There are too many stories of people doing it to "save time", but then fighting carb level for much longer than if they would have just use the set it and forget it method.
Not saying people haven't found the process to make burst carbing work for them, but for your first time I would save an extra headache or two.
Also, after you get it all sealed, Put some starsan solution into a spray bottle and spray both your posts, poppet seals and lid seal to check for leaks.

Good advice. The only thing I would add is that, instead of shaking the keg you can carb at ~30psi for three days and then turn down to serving pressure. This will get you carbed faster than carbing at serving pressure if you're anxious to start drinking the beer.

Latest posts

Back