Does Fermcap go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have not had a blowoff since I started using Fermcap.

I brewed two batches Saturday, used Fermcap in both. Both had massive blowoffs. One batch was an extract Hefe with Wy3068, one was an AG Golden Ale with US-05.

Has my Fermcap gone bad?

:confused:

Mine doesn't say to keep it refrigerated. I've been using the same vial for about a year now. Haven't had any issues, and it sits at room temperature with all of my brewing equipment.

My most recently purchased bottle of Five Star Defoamer 105 says keep in refrigerator, and good for 6 months from purchase. I believe both are some kind of siloxane.

I think the active compound is stable, BUT since we are not working in sterile environments, every time one opens the bottle, there is a chance you are probably getting a few spores etc. in the bottle. Keeping it in the fridge keeps them from multiplying.

Now don't get all freaked out, this is normal. If I take a petri plate and put it on my lab bench and then take the lid off for say 10 seconds. I will in the next couple of days get some colonies forming. That is the reality. There are "bugs" everywhere. Of course my petri plate is loaded with nice nutrients while the Fermcap is not.

I keep mine in the fridge, and I'm careful when using it. I work quickly and do what I can to minimize exposure to the air. I hold the eyedropper as vertical as possible and don't let it touch anything, and never set it down outside of the bottle.

I think the active compound is stable, BUT since we are not working in sterile environments, every time one opens the bottle, there is a chance you are probably getting a few spores etc. in the bottle. Keeping it in the fridge keeps them from multiplying.

Now don't get all freaked out, this is normal. If I take a petri plate and put it on my lab bench and then take the lid off for say 10 seconds. I will in the next couple of days get some colonies forming. That is the reality. There are "bugs" everywhere. Of course my petri plate is loaded with nice nutrients while the Fermcap is not.

I keep mine in the fridge, and I'm careful when using it. I work quickly and do what I can to minimize exposure to the air. I hold the eyedropper as vertical as possible and don't let it touch anything, and never set it down outside of the bottle.

I read somewhere that Fermcap has an antibacterial compound added.

My bottle didn't say anything about refridgeration on it, but since it was in the fridge at midwest when I bought it, I figured that it needed to be stored cold.

I've seen bottles with no warnings but I've seen the warnings so I keep my 4oz bottle in the fridge. At first I was worried about the quantity and the expiration, but it seems I've used up a good portion of my first 4oz bottle and ordered another. I am somewhat generous with my portions. I think it was just getting harder to reach with the eye dropper so I've started pouring it instead. Much earlier, it was too easy to get too much because that stuff keeps dripping off the dropper.

If you don't brew much you might want a smaller bottle but it sounds like 4oz is right for me, and I don't want to run out!!

Latest posts

Back