march pump siphoning problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
so i brewed 2 batches so far on my new brutus clone and both times had issues with the march pumps. i have my pumps set up side by side, draining from kettle to bottom of pump and up through the pump and the outlet of the pump into recirculation of kettle/or transferring kettle. i have ball valves coming out of the kettles and coming out of the pumps. is there a method for properly priming these things. i have to everything such as disconnecting the silicone tubing to holding the tubing below the pump to get a decent siphon.

what do you guys do? i thought it would be as simple as opening kettle valve and turning on march pump. it isnt the case for me. fyi, i bought these things brand new, and they work great once i get them flowing properly.

I find that letting the outlet hose run into a container at ground level is the easiest way for me to get them going. Make sure your hose does not have leaks at the QD's.

yep got it. thanks. just found a great thread with all the answers too. i can live with this, and if i can do it right, i'll only lose 1 cup or two at most. thanks

pi X radius(2) X length = volume, so if you have 3/8" hose at 10' then it goes, 3.14x(3/8x3/8)x120, 120 cause you have to work in inches, you get .225108 us gals

pi X radius(2) X length = volume, so if you have 3/8" hose at 10' then it goes, 3.14x(3/8x3/8)x120, 120 cause you have to work in inches, you get .225108 us gals

I think you forgot to divide the 3/8" diameter by two to get the radius. That makes the correct answer much smaller: 0.057371 gals, or in more easily understood units, 7.3 oz. The volume contained in these small hoses isn't much at all. Closer to 1/2 pint than a quart for the 3/8" x 10 ft example.

Back